5-Animals: US Anti-Xenotransplantation Coalition files lawsuit against FDA

TITLE:  Anti-Xenotransplantation Coalition files lawsuit against FDA
SOURCE: Campaign for Responsible Transplantation, Press Release
DATE:   November 27, 2000

Anti-Xenotransplantation Coalition files lawsuit against FDA
Claims agency is withholding information on clinical trials, hiding dangers

The Campaign for Responsible Transplantation (CRT), a coalition of 90
public interest groups, filed a lawsuit in Federal District Court today to
obtain records from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on clinical
trials in which animal cells, tissue, and organs have been implanted into
humans.

CRT's lawsuit charges that the FDA repeatedly ignored its requests for
information, initially filed back in March 2000, and ultimately violated
the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by improperly withholding records.

The FOIA requires federal agencies to release documents to the public upon
request, unless specific statutory exemptions apply. In its lawsuit, CRT
explains that the records it requested should not be exempt from disclosure
since trial sponsors have themselves divulged details about the human
experiments to the media and the public through press releases, the
Internet, and presentations at FDA-sponsored public meetings.

"We know, through articles in scientific journals and magazines like The
New England Journal of Medicine, Transplantation, New Scientist and others,
that since the early 1990s, over a dozen patients have died, and countless
others have experienced adverse side-effects in xenotransplant experiments
using body parts from genetically altered pigs and/or baboons," says CRT's
Director Alix Fano. "This is not the rosy picture of xenotransplantation
portrayed in newspapers and TV programs. We believe the public has a right
to all the facts; apparently, FDA doesn't," says Fano.

Biotechnology companies and government health officials are promoting
xenotransplantation as a panacea for the perceived human organ and tissue
shortage despite mounting concerns about safety. The FDA, which has
approved over a dozen clinical xenotransplant trials, has admitted that the
technology could facilitate the transmission of known or as yet
unrecognized animal viruses to patients and the general public. Indeed,
last October, baboon Cytomegalovirus was detected in stored blood and
tissue samples of a baboon liver recipient who died in 1992.

When viewed within the context of emerging infectious diseases like nvCJD
("mad cow disease"), AIDS (which some scientists believe originated in
chimpanzees), a growing catalogue of new pig viruses, and recent gene
therapy fiascos in which patients died and side-effects were covered up,
the U.S.'s enthusiasm for using genetically altered pigs as organ factories
is disturbing.

"We believe there has been a pattern of secrecy within the FDA and other
federal agencies with respect to xenotransplantation," says Fano. "The
purpose of CRT's lawsuit is to break through the wall of secrecy so that
the public interest can be served." The lawsuit is being handled by the
Washington, DC public interest law firm, Meyer & Glitzenstein.

Contact:
Alix Fano
Tel. +1-212-579-3477
http://www.crt-online.org