5-Animals: Sheep growth accelerated by GE lupins

TITLE:  Sheep thriving in GMO feeding trial
SOURCE: CSIRO Media Release, Australia
        http://www.csiro.au/page.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=prGMLupins
DATE:   November 22, 2000

Sheep thriving in GMO feeding trial
Ref 2000/310

Increased wool growth and live weight gain in Merino sheep are the results
of a recent CSIRO feeding trial using genetically modified lupins. The
trial explored nutritional benefits of lupin seeds genetically modified to
incorporate a sunflower gene that stimulates the production of a highly
nutritious protein. CSIRO Livestock Industries' Dr Colin White says the
feeding trial resulted in an eight per cent increase in wool growth and a
seven per cent increase in live weight gain in the sheep fed the modified
lupins. All sheep in the trial maintained good health and are doing well.

"The results have the potential to be converted into an additional 160
tonnes of wool per year. In other words farmers could produce more wool
from the same number of sheep, or alternatively they could produce the same
amount of meat or wool with fewer sheep and lower cost," says Dr White. The
GMAC-approved trial was conducted over six weeks with 80 sheep that were
divided equally into two groups and fed a cereal-hay based diet containing
either modified or unmodified lupin seed. CSIRO Plant Industry scientist,
Dr TJ Higgins, says this research potentially offers a valuable boost to
Australian wool by reducing costs, increasing profits and making production
more efficient.

The lupin is the major legume grain used on-farm as supplementary feed for
sheep during the summer drought, with approximately 200,000 tonnes of the
1.2 million tonnes produced annually in South-western Australia used for
this purpose. "Wool and muscle growth has a high demand for sulphur amino
acids, which are absorbed through the sheep's small intestine," says Dr
Higgins, "but the sheep's first stomach, the rumen, tends to break down up
to 40% of these essential nutrients before they reach the intestine."

"We have modified the lupin to contain a sunflower gene that produces a
protein that is both rich in sulfur amino acids and stable in the sheep's
rumen. This protein acts as an efficient package for delivering the extra
sulfur amino acids where they are needed to achieve better growth. We are
pleased with the results which are a culmination of over ten years of
research, including a stringent environmental safety assessment process."
With successful results from the lupin trials, the researchers are
currently working towards similar positive results with subterranean
clover, an important pasture plant for the wool industry.

All CSIRO gene technology research is carried out according to the strict
guidelines of the Federal Government's Genetic Manipulation Advisory
Committee (GMAC). The research is supported by grain-growers and the
Federal Government through the Grains Research and Development Corporation
(GRDC) and by the Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture (CLIMA).

The findings will appear in the international Journal of Science of Food
and Agriculture.

More information from:
Dr TJ Higgins, CSIRO Plant Industry, 02-6246 5063
Dr Colin White, CSIRO Livestock Industries, 08-9333 669
Rachael Mitchell, CSIRO Plant Industry, 02-6246 5323, mobile 0417 240 261,
Rachel.Mitchell@pi.csiro.au
Jane Kahler, CSIRO Plant Industry, 02-6246 5077, mobile 0419 494 137,
Jane.Kahler@pi.csiro.au

Contacts:
Ms Jane Kahler
Communication Manager