2-Plants: UK officials under new public pressure

TITLE:  A) Ministers face new row on GM crops
        B) Government in chaos over GM seeds
        C) Britain's plan to list GM maize seed set for delay
SOURCE: A) The Scotsman, UK, by John Ross, edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
        B) Friends of the Earth UK, Press Release
        C) Reuters, by Elizabeth Piper
DATE:   A+B) November 9, 2000
        C) November 10, 2000

A) Ministers face new row on GM crops

The Scottish executive will, according to this story, come under fire on
two fronts today over its decision to support GM crop trials in the
Highlands without prior consultation with local people. The story says that
executive officials will attend a public meeting in Fortrose in the Black
Isle, near the farm at Munlochy where the trials of genetically modified
oilseed rape are going ahead.

Objectors have criticised Ross Finnie, the rural affairs minister, for his
"cavalier and arrogant" attitude having decided not to attend the event.
Andrew Thompson, of the Highlands and Islands GM Concern action group, was
quoted as saying, "It is not right that he should delegate the job of
justifying his ministerial actions to his civil servants. Mr Finnie took
the decision to allow this trial crop to be planted, without allowing any
opportunity for local consultation, and we believe he should have the
decency to respond to our repeated requests for a meeting by attending this
event in person."

The decision to arrange a public meeting represented a U-turn for Mr Finnie
who originally wanted to hold an invitation-only gathering. However
Highland Council refused to chair such an event because it was not be to a
public event. The GM group says recent revelations that food products in
the US have been contaminated with GM corn not cleared for human
consumption have heightened fears about the Highland trials.

                             *****

B) Government in chaos over GM seeds

Government GM policy was in chaos today when Ministers requested that a
public hearing into GM crops be postponed indefinitely. The hearing was
called to hear objections to a Government proposal to allow a type of GM
maize to be sold to farmers. FOE tonight called on Aventis, the seed
company that owns the GM seed, to withdraw its application.

The postponement call follows revelations that official basic tests on
Chardon LL, a type of GM maize, had only been conducted for 1 year by the
French authorities rather than the 2 required under EU law. The UK
Government is now waiting for guidance from the EU Commission, as the
defects in the French testing regime have serious EU-wide implications. The
revelation that test data hasn't met legal requirements only came to light
after Friends of the Earth and members of the public forced the Government
to hold a public hearing [1] into the proposed listing of Chardon LL.
During the hearing, expert scientific witnesses have produced evidence that
casts severe doubt over the validity of allowing the seed to be listed.
They include concerns over the failure to test the GM maize on cows, and
"suspicious" higher death rates among chickens eating the GM maize during
trials.

The 5th week of the scheduled 9 week-hearing was due to start in Manchester
on Monday 13th November. It will now start on Wednesday 15th November, when
the parties can make representations on what should happen next. Peter
Roderick , legal advisor at Friends of the Earth said: "Once again the
Government's GM policy is in chaos. This is a desperate effort to buy time
to sort out this mess with the Commission and the biotech industry. But
even if this latest cock-up hadn't occurred we think the weight of
scientific evidence against listing is overwhelming. Aventis should fall on
its sword,concede defeat and withdraw its application."

ENDS

[1] In April, the Government announced its intention to allow Chardon LL,
which has been genetically modified to be resistant to Aventis' own
herbicide, on to the national seed list. This is the final legal barrier
before a seed can be sold to farmers. However, FOE discovered a little-
known law which gave the public the right to appeal against the decision.
Sixty seven groups and individuals paid pounds 60 to have their objections
heard in public, with hundreds more filing written objections (which cost
pounds 30).Aventis refused to produce any evidence at the hearing. Website:
www.foe.co.uk

                             *****

C) Britain's plan to list GM maize seed set for delay

LONDON - Britain's plans to register gene-modified maize were headed for
further delay yesterday when the government asked for an adjournment of a
public hearing on the GM seed's inclusion on the National Seed List. The
farm ministry said officials needed to look into queries about earlier
tests on the maize - Aventis's herbicide tolerant Chardon LL - and asked
the barrister conducting the hearing to adjourn it until a later date. "I
have been requested by the minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food...to
give consideration to adjourning the hearing until...the full implications
of the situation for the status of the Chardon LL hearing can be
definitively established," barrister Alun Alesbury said in a statement. "My
preliminary view is that in the circumstances which have arisen an
adjournment would be appropriate."

A sitting was scheduled in the northern city of Manchester on November 15
to decide whether to adjourn the hearing - the results of which have forced
the ministry to reassess earlier testing of the maize. The ministry said
earlier it had found that data from French trials were based on one year's
data from accredited breeders and one year's data from government run
trials. This fell short of the relevant European Union directive affecting
seed approval which requires two years worth of official trials.

"Other member states in the EU also rely on French data and the views of
the commission on the status of the French procedures are being sought,"
the ministry said yesterday. "The UK authorities wish to take account of
these views before taking a decision on how this affects the Chardon LL
hearing." A delay in the hearings would be another blow for the government,
which wants the seeds to registered and has sought to reassure an
increasingly sceptical public over the safety of genetically modified foods.

The hearing, which began early last month and allows opponents to air their
views, was forced by environmental group Friends of the Earth after it
logged 67 objections to the listing of the GM seeds from other interested
parties. Opponents have long argued that the variety of maize had not been
properly tested and that allowing genetically modified crops to be
commercially grown will lead to contamination of non-GM crops.