7-Business: Taiwan still imports StarLink while Japan's imports decline sharply

TITLE:  A) Taiwan buys U.S. corn as usual despite StarLink
        B) StarLink - Japan buying of US corn slows sharply
SOURCE: both Reuters, B) by Jae Hur
DATE:   A) November 10, 2000
        B) November 13, 2000

A) Taiwan buys U.S. corn as usual despite StarLink

TAIPEI - Taiwan's grain importers said yesterday they will continue to buy
U.S. corn for livestock feed despite recent controversy over StarLink
biotech corn banned for human consumption but found in food products. State-
owned Taiwan Sugar Corp was scheduled to tender for 20,000 tonnes of U.S.
corn and 10,000 tonnes of U.S. soybeans in a combined shipment on Friday,
and the firm said it had no plan to shift to other suppliers regardless of
the issue.

An executive with the Major League Feed Group, one of Taiwan's two major
corn buying groups, said Taiwan's appetite for U.S. corn showed no signs of
change as the agricultural authority had not said if it would ban the use
of StarLink in animal feed. "Our grain tender notice has specified the
crops bought would be used for animal feed, and so far the government
doesn't say if the StarLink corn in feed is prohibited," said the
executive. However, the executive said she had no idea if U.S. shipments to
Taiwan contained any StarLink corn as the gene-altered corn was not
included in the island's safety standard checklist.

StarLink, a variety of yellow corn altered to produce its own pesticide,
was approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for use only as
livestock feed, but it was discovered in foods in the United States and
Japan. After tests by a Japanese consumer group last month revealed traces
of StarLink from U.S. imports in domestic food and animal feed, the issue
has brought corn import deals to a virtual halt in Japan for the past two
weeks. StarLink is not approved in Japan for food or animal feed.

Taiwan consumers' sensitivity to the dispute appears low, and one trader
attributed the cool response to a lack of regulations concerning gene-
altered crops. Taiwan has no rules governing StarLink corn and detailed
regulations requiring genetically modified farm products to meet government
safety standards are not due to be completed until the end of 2000.
Taiwan's health department said it had begun conducting tests for StarLink
in foods, but an official at the department's Bureau of Food Sanitation
gave no timetable for the announcement of results. StarLink, made by
European pharmaceutical giant Aventis SA , is approved for use only as an
animal feed because of unanswered questions about whether it could affect
people with allergies.

                             *****

B) StarLink - Japan buying of US corn slows sharply

TOKYO - Most Japanese corn importers have not bought any US corn since late
October due to controversy over gene-spliced StarLink corn, casting a
shadow over the US exports this year, traders said on Friday. The United
States, the world's largest corn supplier, will export 57.79 million tonnes
of corn in the 2000/2001 year, up from 49.21 million the previous year,
according to estimates from the US Department of Agriculture. Japan, the
world's largest buyer, is set to import 16.30 million tonnes in 2000/2001,
compared with 16.12 million the year before. Most of its imports come from
the United States.

US officials have played down the impact of the StarLink controversy on US
corn exports to Japan. But traders in Japan take a different view. "The
StarLink issue will have a negative impact on US corn exports to Japan,"
said an official from a leading trade house. "No one wants to make deals
without guarantees they are free from StarLink."

After tests by a Japanese consumer group last month revealed traces of
StarLink corn in domestic food and animal feed products, local corn trade
virtually ground to a halt, with importers scrambling to find other
sources. StarLink is not approved in Japan, even for animal feed.

Although several local importers, who have elevators in the United States,
have kept importing US corn since late October, the amount is limited and
they will have to settle costs of StarLink testing later, the trade house
official said. Other importers were believed to have already booked corn
cargoes from China, South Africa and South America to avoid the StarLink
issue and the cost of testing, he said.

SHORT OF FULL ASSURANCE

Japan has secured its corn needs to the end of the year and is seeking
supplies for first quarter shipment, but uncertainty over the costs for
StarLink tests has led most trade houses to halt offers of US corn to local
end-users, another trade house official said. Local trade houses and end-
users had concluded less than 20 percent of corn supply deals for first
quarter shipment before the Consumers Union of Japan's discovery on October
25, he said. Around this time last year, they had already completed most of
the first quarter term deals. Japan normally buys about four million tonnes
of corn in the first quarter.

Earlier this month, Japan's Health Ministry agreed to a US testing plan to
prevent StarLink corn from tainting exports to Japan for direct human
consumption. Japanese importers played down the US plan because it falls
short of full safety assurances and the local food and feed industries were
reluctant to pay the extra cost for testing StarLink, analysts said. It was
unclear whether the latest US measures would be sufficient to guarantee
that corn supplies to Japan for food use would be absolutely free of
StarLink, a trade house analyst said. The US measures also failed to
specify who is going to pay the costs for testing and to include corn
exports for animal feed use in the testing plan, he said.

JAPAN CONDUCTS STARLINK STUDY ON POULTRY

StarLink, made by Franco-German life sciences firm Aventis SA , has not
been approved for human consumption in the United States because of US
regulators' concerns about potential allergic reactions. Japan's
Agriculture Ministry said on Friday it has started ts own feed studies on
poultry using gene-spliced StarLink corn to assess the safety of animal
feed and the tests would take three months. The ministry said in a
statement that it had asked the Japan Scientific Feeds Association to
conduct the safety test on 200 broilers on Thursday. The StarLink issue has
deepened concerns about the US ability to comply with Japanese legislation
to be implemented from next April that will set zero tolerance for imports
of unapproved genetically modified products.