6-Regulation: Battle over GE foods set to escalate with new US congress

TITLE:  Battle over gene-altered foods set to escalate with new session of
        congress
SOURCE: The Boston Globe, USA, by Ronald Rosenberg
        edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   November 8, 2000

Battle over gene-altered foods set to escalate with new session of congress

The biotechnology industry is, according to this story, bracing for a
renewed campaign by consumer activists next year to restrict the movement
toward genetically modified foods. The story cites biotech leaders
anticipate the pressure could begin when Congress reconvenes in January and
could extend to the US Food and Drug Administration. Michael Phillips,
director of the food and agriculture section of the Biotechnology Industry
Organization, a national trade group, was quoted as saying, "The activists
who question biotechnology in foods will try to make some inroads in the
acceptability of these products and some rules will change at the FDA. We
anticipate more discussion, and people will try to make changes via
legislation in labeling of genetically modified foods, but they won't be
successful."

The story says that the FDA is expected to introduce new guidelines on
genetically modified foods as early as next month. The new guidelines
require producers to notify the FDA at least four months in advance of
plans to put any bioengineered food on supermarket shelves.

The story adds that Congress is also expected to debate legislation that
would prohibit state and local governments from passing food safety laws,
mandating the labeling of genetically modified foods, that are tougher than
federal laws. The goal of such legislation is to have a single federal law
rather than separate state laws. And the House and the Senate will once
again be asked to require the inclusion of "genetically modified" or
similar words on packaging of foods sold to the public. Supporters maintain
the distinction is as important as current requirements that list
ingredients and identify how much fat, sugar, protein and carbohydrates are
in food products.

Gene Grabowski, vice president of communications at the Grocery
Manufacturers of America, was quoted as saying, "Mandating that `biotech'
or `genetically modified' [be put] on food labels implies that there is
something wrong with the food." The story adds that Federal regulators are
reportedly considering an alternative: labeling foods that do not contain
genetically modified ingredients.

The story goes on to cite a recent six-page report from the US Public
Interest Research Group, entitled "Weird Science: The Brave New World of
Genetic Engineering," [can be downloaded at http://www.pirg.org/ge/press/
weirdscience/index.html, HM] saying that the study, cites some plant
experiments gone awry, crop failures with genetically engineered cotton and
genetically engineered soybeans, and the insertion of animal genes to test
whether certain crops are resistant to certain diseases.

Absent from the study are any examples of biotech foods endangering the
environment or public health. Supporters of genetically altered foods say
the products are safe, noting that more than 60 percent of grocery store
food contains genetically modified materials.