8-Misc: Asian discussions about GE agriculture

TITLE:  A) Asian NGOs and farmers groups oppose genetically engineered rice
        B) Dark clouds with silver linings?
SOURCE: A) Pesticide Action Network Asia & the Pacific
           sent by People's Caravan 2000, Malaysia
        B) Bangkok Post, by Supradit Kanwanich
           edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   A) November 3, 2000
        A) November 5, 2000

A) Asian NGOs and farmers groups oppose genetically engineered rice

Non governmental organisations, small farmers, landless peasants, farm
workers and anti-genetic engineering advocates strongly oppose the
introduction of genetically engineered rice and the increasing corporate
control of rice research and seed systems across Asia.

For millions of people in Asia, rice is not just a daily source of
calories, it is a part of their culture and heritage. "If we let the
agrochemical industry take over our rice production systems, not only will
our food security be at the mercy of profit hungry transnational
corporations (TNCs), but also our culture, our land and our livelihoods,"
says Sarojeni Rengam, Executive Director of Pesticide Action Network Asia
and the Pacific (PAN AP).

Facing increasing rejection, the biotech industry, in its latest strategy,
appears to be attempting to do this by gift wrapping its latest
developments in genetically engineered rice in the guise of 'developing
world friendly' concerns.

Promoting the welfare of small-marginalised farmers and working towards
alleviating global malnutrition is the catchcry of the latest genetically
engineered rice crop¸high yield vitamin A rice or 'golden rice'. Targeted
for distribution to Asian farmers, 'free' of charge and 'without
restrictions', 'golden rice' is being touted as a miracle cure for
blindness¸"a break through in the efforts to improve the health of billions
of poor people, most of them in Asia."

The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) will be one of the
agencies involved in the transfer of the 'golden rice' trait to local
hybrid varieties.

Rafael Mariano, Chairperson of KMP (Peasant Movement of the Philippines)
says: "Research and development into genetically engineered rice undertaken
by IRRI, like blight and blast resistant (BB) rice, is partly funded by the
Rockefeller Foundation, the same supporter of the infamous and unsuccessful
'miracle rice' of the 1960s."

Ms. Rengam, objects to the exploitation of the image of the poor and hungry
as a public relations strategy to push a technology that is unsafe,
unethical, exploitative, environmentally unfriendly and of no benefit
economically to small-marginalised farmers.

"Golden rice' is really about clouding the real issues of poverty and the
control of resources, serving to fast-track the wide scale acceptance and
release of genetically engineered rice varieties throughout Asia," comments
Mika Iba, Coordinator of the Japanese based Network for Safe and Secure
Food and the Environment (NESSFE).

According to Philippines based MASIPAG, a farmer scientist coalition
promoting organic and sustainable agriculture, the biotech industry and its
allies already have 160 patent claims on rice with half belonging to the
top 13 companies. Since 1986 an apomixis gene* for hybrid rice production;
nitrogen (N)-fixing rice; Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) rice; BB rice; a
perennial rice variety*; and micronutrient (vitamin A, iron and zinc)
fortified rice strains have been, or are being developed.

Mr. Mariano says: "The powerful biotech industry is aggressively targeting
southern agriculture, particularly rice, in an effort to open this
lucrative market and take it over by creating dependency on agricultural
genetic engineering technology."

To alert millions of people, particularly farmers and consumers, to the
latest developments in genetic engineering, various farmers groups and anti-
pesticide advocates across the Asia-Pacific region will hold a People 's
Caravan ÷ "Citizens on the Move for Land and Food Without Poisons!" from
November 13-30.

Travelling through India, Bangladesh and the Philippines, the caravan aims
to give these people a voice in counteracting and choosing alternatives to
the exploitative, profit-driven motives of agrochemical TNCs.

According to Ms. Rengam: "The People's Caravan will inform farmers and
consumers of local initiatives towards more sustainable healthy agriculture
that embrace local/ traditional knowledge and practices as alternatives to
corporate dependent systems."

*Explanatory notes: The apomixis gene will give the hybrid plant the
ability produce offspring with the same traits as the parent as
reproduction will be independent of the union of male and female floral
parts (Source: Mga Magsasaka at Siyentipiko Para sa Ikauunlad ng Agham Pang-
Agrikultura (MASIPAG). MASIPAG News & Views. 2000. 'GE Rice: Asian Farmers
have everything to Lose').

*Genetically engineered perennial rice is designed to reproduce more than
once in its lifecycle and last more than two years (Source: Mga Magsasaka
at Siyentipiko Para sa Ikauunlad ng Agham Pang-Agrikultura (MASIPAG).
MASIPAG News & Views. 2000. 'GE Rice: Asian Farmers have everything to
Lose').

For more information contact:

PAN AP (Pesticide Action Network Asia & the Pacific)
Jennifer Mourin, Campaigns and Media Coordinator OR Sarah Hindmarsh,
Programme Assistant Genetic Engineering Campaign. Tel: (60-4) 657-0271/
656-038. Fax: (604) 657-7445
E-mail: panap@panap.po.my or visit the People's Caravan
Web site: www.poptel.org.uk/panap/caravan.htm

sent by:

People's Caravan 2000
P.O. Box 1170, 10850, Penang, Malaysia.
Tel: (604) 657 0271/656 0381 Fax: (604) 657 7445
E-mail: pcaravan@tm.net.my / panap@panap.po.my

                              ***

B) Dark clouds with silver linings?

GMO FOOD: Cultivation and consumption of genetically modified organisms are
already widespread in the US. Now the question is what's to stop Thailand
going with the flow? 'There's a lot of ignorance out there. Frankly, we
have been eating this stuff for about 10 years without a problem," blusters
Carl Feldbaum, president of Bio, a national biotech trade group in
Washington, DC, speaking on the topic of genetically modified (GM) food
products.

But Thai farmer Khemporn Songma does not share the American's confidence.
"I am afraid," he states simply on his way to join a rally to protest the
effects of imported GM organisms on biodiversity in Thailand. Khemporn has
heard that scientists have tampered with what he calls the "intestines" of
some rice varieties and that as a result only 15 varieties remain in
Thailand today compared to thousands in his grandfather's day.

Indeed, the economics of GMO crop cultivation can be hard to resist.
According to Gayl Hopkins, a corn grower from Iowa, planting genetically
modified corn cost him about $10 more per acre in 1999 because the seeds
were expensive. But he gained 40 percent more profit because he spent less
on chemicals. He found this fact particularly amazing - and alluring -
given the low market prices for corn. "Bt cotton ( genetically modified
cotton) does not require the use of chemicals, so it's better for our
health," says Somboon Charoenchai, a Thai farmer in Yang Chak village in
Phetchabun. Despite having friends who fear the new crop, he insists he
will buy Bt cotton seeds if and when they become available. In the
meantime, he has stopped planting cotton altogether since pests drove up
pesticide costs to prohibitive levels.

Amid widespread suspicion about the effects of GM crops, biosafety
experiments continue in Thailand as farmers wait impatiently for the
authorities to make a decision one way or the other. Since January last
year, Thailand has held some 90 meetings in various institutions
nationwide, as well as with counterparts in the Philippines, Malaysia and
Saudi Arabia, covering all aspects of genetically modified organisms (GMO)
policy.