7-Business: The economics of non-GMO segregation and identity preservation

TITLE:  A) The economics of non-GMO segregation and identity preservation
        B) Corn mill works on products free of genetic engineering
SOURCE: A) INRA Rennes, France and University of Illinois, USA
           http://w3.aces.uiuc.edu/ACE/faculty/dallasbu.PDF
        B) Associates Press, USA, edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   A) October 21, 2000
        B) November 6, 2000

A) The economics of non-GMO segregation and identity preservation

David S. Bullock, Marion Desquilbet
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Economie et Sociologie Rurales
Rennes, France
Elisavet I. Nitsi
University of Illinois, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics

The Economics of Non-GMO Segregation and Identity Preservation

Introduction

Much controversy surrounds the production and marketing of agricultural
genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Many consumers worldwide currently
worry that food derived from GMOs may be unhealthy, or that the production
of GMOs may have negative environmental consequences or other negative
social consequences. As a result, recently there have been calls all over
the world, but especially in the European Union (EU) and Japan, for
increased regulation of the production and marketing of GMOs and of
products derived from GMOs. Calls have been made for the banning of GMO
imports in the EU and Japan, and laws have been passed mandating the
labeling of genetically modified (GM) products in the EU.

According to USDA estimates, 52% of U.S. soybean acres and 25% of U.S. corn
acres will be planted with GM varieties in 2000 (USDA NASS, 2000). The U.S.
is a major world producer and exporter on both markets, and the EU and
Japan are major destinations for U.S. soybean and corn products.

If consumers strongly reject products labeled as GMO, then we can expect
that market signals will be created that encourage the segregation of non-
GM grain from GM grain, and that the identity of non-GM grain be preserved.
Indeed, as will be explained, such market signals and non-GM segregation
and identity preservation can already be observed in grain markets. In
order to understand in any kind of empirical sense the economic effects of
labeling laws and/or changes in consumer preferences for non-GM and GM
agricultural products, it is first necessary to understand the
institutional set-up of world grain markets and marketing channels. Through
these channels grain flows from the seed industry all the way up to the
processing industry. The effects that GM labeling laws and preference
shifts will have on the economic well-being of the industries and people
involved is the subject of this paper.

Corresponding authors:
David S. Bullock
Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, University of Illinois
305 Mumford Hall
1301 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-5510
Fax: (217) 333-5538
e-mail: dsbulloc@uiuc.edu

Marion Desquilbet
INRA ESR
rue Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103
35011 Rennes cedex, France
Phone: (33) 2 23 48 56 08.
Fax: (33) 2 23 48 53 80
e-mail: desquilb@roazhon.inra.fr

Copyright 2000 by Bullock, Desquilbet and Nitsi. All rights reserved.

Readers may make verbatim copies of this document for non-commercial
purposes by any means, provided that this copyright notice appears on all
such copies.

                             *****

B) Corn mill works on products free of genetic engineering

JOHNSTOWN, Colo. - The Colorado Sweet Gold corn mill is refining its system
of testing and tracking products to avert what caused another company to
recall products containing genetically engineered corn. The story says that
the system at Sweet Gold, one of the state's only mills to process corn for
human consumption, helps assure delivery of a product free of pesticides,
herbicides and genetic engineering. Sweet Gold plant manager John Hamilton
was quoted as saying "It is more of a way of assuring ourselves that what
happened to Taco Bell won't happen to us." Jim Miller, spokesman for the
Colorado Department of Agriculture was quoted as saying, "This is
absolutely not a wholesale indictment of biotechnology. Science-based
technology requires product identification and a segregation system."