8-Misc: Many Americans say stop planting gene-altered crops

TITLE:  Many Americans say stop planting gene-altered crops
SOURCE: Reuters, by Brad Dorfman
DATE:   November 6, 2000

Many Americans say stop planting gene-altered crops

CHICAGO - A majority of Americans believe recent recalls of foods
containing genetically modified ingredients raise concerns about US food
safety, and a third said farmers should not be allowed to grow gene-altered
crops, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Friday. Some 1,210
adults were polled this week about their reactions to the recall of taco
shells and other foods tainted with ingredients containing corn not
approved for human consumption. The corn, a variety of seed called StarLink
made by European pharmaceuticals giant Aventis SA, was not approved because
of concern it could provoke allergic reactions.

The survey found 54.4 percent of respondents concerned about the recalls
because it raised questions about the food supply. Nearly 60 percent of
women surveyed expressed concern. Only 24.9 percent said they were not
concerned about it. Seventeen percent said they had not heard about the
recalls, which have been widely publicised in the press. The controversial
StarLink variety accounted for only about one percent of US corn plantings
this year, but the corn has been mixed with other varieties, spawning chaos
in the food chain from farmers to food companies and costing millions of
dollars.

Fully a third of those surveyed, 33.3 percent, said that farmers should not
be allowed to plant gene modified crops. Some 39.2 percent said that
farmers should be able to plant them and 19.7 percent said they were not
sure. "I really think that farmers should not be allowed to grow it," said
Sandy Farris, a 43-year-old marketing coordinator for a water and waste
operations management company in Houston, and one of those surveyed. She
said she was concerned that genetically modified foods might be sold
without being identified as such to consumers. "I really don't think that
their quality assurance is that great," said Farris, who has four children
ages 7 to 24.

The question of whether genetically modified crops should be allowed into
the food chain was put in sharp focus in late September when Philip Morris
Cos. unit Kraft Food voluntarily recalled Taco Bell taco shells from store
shelves after a gene-modified corn called StarLink was discovered in them.
Since then nearly 300 kinds of taco shells, tortillas, chips and tostadas
had been recalled from US grocery stores and restaurants because of
suspected contamination with a biotech corn. The StarLink corn, produced by
European pharmaceutical giant Aventis SA , has been approved as animal feed
but not for human consumption.

Even some food companies say the government should not approve foods for
animals and not humans. "I think that what's happened in the StarLink case
is that they're probably a little bit hard to control, once they are in the
system," C. Steven McMillan, president and chief executive of Sara Lee
Corp. , said after the food and consumer product company's annual meeting
last week. Most food makers have had shareholder proposals this year
calling for the companies to stop using gene-modified ingredients. Those
proposals have been soundly defeated.

The survey found a significant gender gap in responses on gene-modified
foods. A majority of men, 51.2 percent, said farmers should be allowed to
plant gene-modified crops while 43.2 percent of women were opposed. "I just
feel that genetically modified products are probably in the long run going
to be healthful," William Brucker, 65, a retired insurance agent from
Kenmore, N.Y., a suburb of Buffalo, said. "You live long enough and you
hear so much of this scare stuff and they find out that they're OK. You
take it with a grain of salt." The poll has a margin of error of three
percentage points.