8-Misc: U.S. GE program will liberate developing countries "from the tyranny of hunger and malnutrition"

TITLE:  A) COMMENT by Iza Kruszewska
        B) Bond secures global biotech research funds
           $30 million will fight maladies in developing countries
SOURCE: A) sent by Iza Kruszewska
        B) edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   A) November 2, 2000
        B) October 26, 2000

Dear friends,

I had questions from some of you requesting information about the progress
of the U.S. budget proposals, allocating funding for U.S. biotech promotion
in CEE-NIS. Although the press release if about an additional $30 million
for developing countries, it also states: "Bond included the funding in the
FY 2001 Appropriations package, which passed the House and Senate
yesterday." The funding for promoting biotech and training officials in CEE-
NIS was part of the FY 2001 Appropriations package.

Cheers, Iza

Iza Kruszewska
P.O Box 12201
London SW17 9ZL
United Kingdom
Tel/fax: +44 20 8672 3454
email: iza@cpa-iza.u-net.com

                                 *****

Bond secures global biotech research funds
$30 million will fight maladies in developing countries

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Kit Bond announced today that he has secured an
additional $30 million for biotechnology research to address health,
humanitarian, and environmental challenges in the developing world. Bond
included the funding in the FY 2001 Appropriations package, which passed
the House and Senate yesterday. "This money will help liberate millions the
world over from the tyranny of hunger and malnutrition," Bond said. "This
program will help developing-world scientists solve problems once thought
intractable by arming them with the latest technology." This funding will
enable scientists from developing nations to team with American scientists
to develop technology to address problems limiting the food supply in the
developing world.

Provisions in the bill include:
- $5 million for the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) to pursue
further development of "golden rice" which contains increased amounts of
Vitamin A, to fight Vitamin A deficiency, a leading cause of blindness and
death of children in developing countries.
- $1 million to support and train foreign scientists in new, more effective
means of controlling parasitic weeds that attack crops in Central Africa.
- $1 million to establish a "Center to Promote Biotechnology in
International Agriculture" at Tuskegee University, which will develop
genetic technology applications to combat world hunger and malnutrition.
- $1 million for the International Laboratory for Tropical Agriculture
Biotechnology (ITLAP), part of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, to
find methods to fight crop diseases.
- $1 million for the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center to train
researchers from Thailand and Indonesia to combat diseases in bananas,
plantains and other tropical plants.

"Biotechnology carries the cure for so many of the world's food and
nutritional problems," Bond said. "We can fight drought and disease while
boosting crop yields with this technology."