3-Food: Dutch study: Starlink protein stimulated antibodies in lab rats

TITLE:  Dutch study: Starlink protein stimulated antibodies in lab rats
SOURCE: United Press International, edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   October 29, 2000

Dear GENET-news readers,

for more informations on EPA actions and meetings concerning the Starlink
canola see:
http://www.epa.gov/oppbppd1/biopesticides/news/news-bt-crops-sap-oct.htm
(3 Day Science Advisory Panel Meeting on Bt Plant Pesticides scheduled for
October 18-20 in Arlington VA)
and other related EPA web pages. Up to now I could not find the mentioned
Dutch study at the EPA web pages.

Yours,

Hartmut Meyer

                              *****

Dutch study: Starlink protein stimulated antibodies in lab rats

CHICAGO, -- StarLink, planted on just 352,000 acres and representing just
0.5 percent of the 10.4 billion bushel U.S. corn crop, was, according to
this story, supposed to be just for animal feed or industrial use. Susan
Hazen, deputy director of the EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs, was
quoted as saying that new Aventis data, "suggests three ways of looking at
the problem. First, they don't believe Cry9C is an allergen. They also
suggested that even if it is an allergen, it would be present at such low
volume that it would not be able to trigger an allergic response. You need
a certain level. Their third argument is that for something to become a
food allergen it has to be present long enough in the food supply for
people to build up potential for an allergic reaction."

Hazen was cited as saying that all known food allergens exhibit certain
characteristics, including stability under heat and a lack of
digestibility, and unlike other biotech proteins that are digested within
seconds. Cry9C can hang around for 30 minutes.

At a meeting Oct. 20 of the EPA's Scientific Advisory Panel, Dutch
scientist Hubert Noteburn was cited as presenting a study indicating rats
fed StarLink begin producing antibodies. Hazen said she had not yet
examined the data but that it would be taken into consideration in
examining Aventis' request. Hazen said the conditional registration granted
Aventis in 1997 for StarLink made it clear it was the company's
responsibility to track its corn and keep it out of the food supply.