4-Patents: Neem patent revoked!!! Major victory against biopiracy

TITLE:  Neem patent revoked!!! Major victory against biopiracy
SOURCE: IFOAM, Germany
DATE:   May 10, 2000

NEEM PATENT REVOKED!!!  MAJOR VICTORY AGAINST BIOPIRACY

Munich, May 10, 2000.  At the conclusion of a two-day Oral
Proceeding, the Opposition Division of the European Patent Office
(EPO) this afternoon completely revoked Patent number 436257, which
had been granted to the United States of America and the
multinational corporation W.R. Grace for a fungicide derived from
seeds of the Neem tree. The Legal Opposition to the patent had been
lodged five years ago by the Research Foundation for Science,
Technology and Natural Resource Policy directed by the renowned
Indian scientist Vandana Shiva, IFOAM (International Federation of
Organic Agriculture Movements), and Magda Aelvoet, former Green
Member of the European Parliament  and current Environment Minister
of Belgium.  Following extensive testimony by expert witnesses, the
panel judged that there was no inventive step involved in the claimed
"invention."

The three Opponents in the case were extremely pleased with the
outcome, but they had felt confident all along in the merits of their
case.  Dr. Vandana Shiva commented, "We were certain from the
beginning that the US/Grace patent did not satisfy the basic
requirements for a patent. How could the United States or W.R. Grace
say they invented something which has been in public use for
centuries?"

"This is a great day not only for us but for all people throughout
the world, especially from the Third World, who have been fighting to
take back control of their resources and knowledge systems from the
patent regimes of the North," said IFOAM President Linda Bullard.
"We are gratified about the decision’s recognition of the
intellectual achievements of the South and urge the patent office to
reject the 11 Neem patent applications which are still under
examination.  We hope that our victory will mark a turning point in
the struggle against biopiracy."

At midday on the first day of the hearing demonstrators gathered in
front of the EPO building holding banners reading "No Patents for
Theft" and carrying signs representing all the European patents which
have been granted or are pending on the Neem.  A 2-metre tall Neem
tree—whose scientific name means the "Free Tree"—was symbolically
"freed" from patents for public use by a delegation of scientists and
farmers from India and Sri Lanka.  They then presented to a
representative of the EPO packages of signatures of 500,000 Indian
citizens demanding that all patents on the Neem be revoked.

For further information contact:
Vandana Shiva at +9111 685-3772 (India); vshiva@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in
Linda Bullard at +33 29 825-8976 (France); LindaBullard@IFOAM.org
Dr. Ruth Tippe, +49(0)172 896 3858 (MŁnchen) keinpatent@aol.com
For a Background paper on the Neem Patent Challenge, go to
www.ifoam.org

             !!! NEW ADDRESS !!!