6-Regulation: Austria bans Aventis' gene-modified maize

TITLE:  Austria bans Aventis' gene-modified maize
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   April 14, 2000

Austria bans Aventis' gene-modified maize

Austria on Thursday banned imports of Aventis' genetically-modified
maize on the grounds there were no available studies on the long-term
impact the crop would have on the environment. "Austria is no
laboratory and it is of utmost concern that we maintain Austria as a
provider of produce of the highest quality for the whole European
market," said Elisabeth Sickl, minister in charge of food safety and
inspection.

Greenpeace welcomed the ban on French group Aventis' Zea Mays L. T25
and urged the minister to forbid all problematic genetically altered
plants. "This import ban can only be seen as a first step,"
Greenpeace's Susanne Fromwald said, cautioning that Europe may soon
be swamped by more gene licences.

The European Parliament on Wednesday rejected amendments to laws
governing genetically modified crops, which would have introduced
liability clauses on producers and measures to stop "gene pollution".
Proponents of the high-tech crops say altering the genetic makeup of
a crop to increase resistance to pests and disease does not pose a
threat to human health nor the environment. But opponents say there
are no long-term scientific studies to support this and that in
practice, the crops are just engineered to tolerate chemicals.

             !!! NEW ADDRESS !!!