3-Food: Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication will provide GMO-free vitamins and food supplements

TITLE:  Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication studies relationship
between GMOs and natural supplements
SOURCE: Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication press release
        edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   March 24, 2000

Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication studies relationship between
GMOs and natural supplements

TORONTO -- While many Canadians are becoming increasingly aware of
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) entering the world food supply,
some wonder whether or not there are GMOs in vitamin and herbal
supplements. Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication, manufacturers of
Quest Vitamins and a leader in natural health product manufacturing,
has taken steps to investigate GMOs, ensure continued high product
quality, and answer consumer questions regarding this issue.

GMO crops create a greater abundance of food available for
distribution since they grow faster, bigger, and are more resistant
to pest damage. Some people feel that the use of GMO's is justified
in order to increase the world food supply, which is essential to
eliminating starvation. Also, use of GMOs that have been developed
with internal resistance to pests decreases the need for pesticide
use, which is a great benefit to our environment.

However, the other side of this debate feels that genetic
modification may be causing changes to plants beside just their
growth characteristics. Altering an organism's DNA has the potential
to create completely new organisms. The long-term effects of these
new substances are completely unknown since scientists do not
understand how the newly modified DNA may break down into component
nucleic acids that may, in turn, be absorbed into our own DNA.

GMOs are created by removing a gene out of the DNA of an organism (A)
where it is controlled by that organism's expression pathways and
interacts with its other gene products, and injecting this gene into
the DNA of a completely different organism (B). Genetic modification
occurs and a new organism is created with altered characteristics. A
plant's characteristics may include those listed above, as well as
its ability to produce new chemicals, or change the ratios of
existing chemicals normally present. Among many others, existing
chemicals may include vitamins, fatty acids, or other substances such
as co-enzymes.

Consumers can take heart in the fact that the majority of source raw
material suppliers are very concerned about this controversial topic.
Many suppliers have committed to using GMO-free sources as long as
they remain available. Also, during manufacturing the purification of
source materials such as extracted vitamins, fatty acids or other
substances, is properly carried out so other plant materials,
particularly those containing proteins or DNA material, are not
present. This process is a fairly standard practice conducted during
the manufacturing of the high quality, commercial vitamin and
supplement materials.

Don Beatty, Director of Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs at
Boehringer Ingelheim Self-Medication, manufacturers of Quest Vitamins
says "At Quest, we are extremely concerned about the proliferation of
GMO materials entering our industry and are determined to ensure our
products remain GMO-free. Since we are a full manufacturer of natural
health products, and not simply a distributor, we are in a far better
position to research our materials and guarantee our products. We
have contacted each of our suppliers of target materials to
investigate the potential for GMO contamination. Unless they are able
to certify their materials are GMO-free, we will be choosing
alternate suppliers that are able to fulfill our needs, and those of
our customers. So far, we have received a very positive response."

While the controversy and struggle to control, regulate, and
hopefully eliminate GMO's from our food supply continues, we do not
need to be overly concerned or afraid of the vast majority of our
natural health products. High quality products, from reliable
sources, use materials that are free or purified of potential GMO
substances. As well, the quantity of these products ingested is
physically very small compared to conventional food products (e.g.
potatoes, corn, wheat, and soybeans) that contain a higher
probability for being from a GMO source.

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |