8-Misc: Genetic ID's new GMO tests can save U.S.corn

TITLE:  Genetic ID's new GMO tests can save U.S.corn
SOURCE: Genetic ID, USA, Press Release (not yet available at
        http://www.genetic-id.com), edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
DATE:   March 23, 2000

Genetic ID's new GMO tests can save U.S.corn

FAIRFIELD, Iowa -- Genetic ID, Inc., the pioneer and world leader in
testing foods for genetically modified organisms (GMOs), has
developed cost-effective tests that could help save hundreds of
millions of dollars in U.S. corn and corn-based food exports to Japan
and restore stalled U.S. corn exports to Europe. The tests, which
screen for specific unapproved varieties of GMOs, promise to protect
U.S. exporters from risks of refused shipments and legal penalties.

A new Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare regulation bans imports
of unapproved genetically modified (GM) corn varieties for human
consumption. The new regulation has zero tolerance; if any amount of
GMO is detected, corn shipments can be rejected and products seized
and destroyed. Importers may also face fines and criminal penalties.

The regulation will be enforced starting April 1, 2001 and has
sparked protests from the U.S. agricultural sector, which witnessed
corn exports to the EU plummet from $305 million in 1996 to only $1
million in 1999 due to GMO restrictions, according to a recent New
York Times article. Japan is the largest export market for U.S. corn,
buying an average 480 million bushels a year, or 31 percent of all
U.S. corn exported.

"This high-risk situation demands precise, reliable, and consistent
testing to detect the unapproved varieties," says Dr. Bernd Schoel,
Genetic ID, director of analytical services. "The new 'varietal test'
solves this problem, reducing the risks for exporters."

Genetic ID's DNA tests can reliably detect as little as two molecules
of genetically modified DNA and identify all the commercialized GM
varieties of grains, fruits, and vegetables on the market. Genetic
ID's two new varietal tests identify the seven GM corn varieties
unapproved in Japan, and the 11 varieties unapproved in the EU. In
addition, Genetic ID can quickly develop variety-specific tests for
any GMOs unapproved by any trading partner. For example, tests can be
developed for U.S.-grown GM tomatoes, squash, and other products not
approved in Japan.

"With each nation creating their own list of unapproved varieties and
labeling thresholds for GMOs, exporters face unprecedented
challenges," says Bill Witherspoon, Genetic ID's chief executive
officer. "Genetic ID's varietal tests, which cost as little as a
penny per bushel, and our threshold tests which cost even less,
provide industry with the tools to navigate through the maze of
regulation and risk."

Genetic ID, in cooperation with LawLabs of the United Kingdom, also
developed Cert ID, the world's first non-GMO certification program,
which provides further protection with third-party assurance of non-
GMO production.

Consistent, reliable testing around the globe eliminates risks
Genetic ID has performed hundreds of thousands of GMO tests, and its
testing method is recognized worldwide for unsurpassed accuracy and
reliability. Laboratories around the world have licensed Genetic ID's
technology, which uses stringent controls to guard against false
positive and false negative results. By testing with Genetic ID's
labs in the U.S. and Japan, or with its licensees around the globe,
companies can ensure consistent, reliable testing before and after
export. This will prevent accidental shipments of unapproved
varieties into Japan and Europe.

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |