8-Misc: Support the State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, in its right to stay GE-free!

TITLE:  Support the State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, in its right
to stay GE-free!
SOURCE: Centro Ecologico, by Maria José Guazzelli
        flaviobo@zaz.com.br
DATE:   March 14, 2000

URGENT SUPPORT NEEDED FOR THE STATE OF RIO GRANDE DO SUL, BRAZIL,
WHOSE GOVERNMENT HAS DECLARED ITS INTENTION TO STAY FREE OF GENETIC
ENGINEERING. THE STATE FACES AN ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE RIGHT OF ITS
GOVERNMENT TO MAKE DECISIONS TO PROTECT HEALTH, THE ENVIRONMENT AND
THE CONSUMER WITH REGARD TO GENETICALLY ENGINEERED ORGANISMS.

Here is a message from the State of Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil,
which has taken a brave stand against genetic engineering in
agriculture and also wishes to become free of pesticides and
herbicides.

They need our support right now! Here is their message:

                              *****

Friends,

We are launching the Manifesto, IN DEFENCE OF LIFE, which goes beyond
mere party positions, in support of the Governor of the State, Olivio
Dutra. He has decided to veto  an attempt to introduce a legal
project which seeks to remove from the State of Rio Grande do Sul the
right to make decisions on issues related to genetically engineered
organisms.

We are counting on your participation  to disseminate this Manifesto
and get as many people to support it as possible within the State of
Rio Grande do Sul, and in other Brazilian states and other countries
around the world.

PLEASE SEND YOU NAME and organisation BEFORE 16th March 2000, the
deadline for the veto. Please send it to:
agapan@ax.apc.org.br
or by fax to 00 51 211 5546.

If you want more information you can get it from:
Vanete: 00 51 211 5546
Vicente: 00 51 210 2913

They speak only Portuguese or Spanish!
Thank you!

Here is the Manifesto:

                              *****

IN DEFENCE OF LIFE
We wish to endorse the initiative of Olivio Dutra, Governor of the
State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, to veto the proposed law which
has been designed to remove from the State of Rio Grande do Sul its
constitutional competence to make decisions on health and environment
with respect to activities involving genetically modified organisms.

We re-affirm that it is the duty of the public authority of the state
to protect health, the environment and the consumer and to fully
adopt the precautionary principle which now has international
recognition.

signature:

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |