7-Business: No GMO forestry for Stora Enso

Stora Enso will not use GMOs in forestry

Swedish-Finnish forestry and paper group Stora Enso, one of the world leaders with sales of 10 billion EUR, will not use gene technology in its forestry breeding activities.

Timo Heikka of Stora Enso tells Dagens Nyheter (Stockholm) that the company has taken the decision on ethical grounds. Heikka has led an internal working group which has reviewed the technology.

- GMO is no key issue for us. By stating our views we will also avoid unnecessary controversy.

In its 1999 Environmental Report Stora Enso notes that genetic modification impacts the internal code of life, and questions whether this should be inflicted on other living organisms.

Source: Dagens Nyheter 12 March 2000
Stora Enso Environmental Report at http://212.213.110.18/pdf/StoraEnsoEnv99.pdf