2-Plants: GE plants producing human therapeutics may lower production costs

TITLE:  Monsanto scientists demonstrate potential new approach to
        developing lower-cost drugs
SOURCE: Monsanto press release
        http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/mediacenter/2000/
        00feb29_lowcost.html
DATE:   February 29, 2000

Monsanto Scientists Demonstrate Potential New Approach To Developing
Lower-Cost Drugs
Research Published in Nature Biotechnology First to Demonstrate
Production of Human Therapeutic in Chloroplasts

ST. LOUIS - In research published in the March edition of Nature
Biotechnology (volume 18, number 3, pages 333-338), Monsanto
scientists have demonstrated how genetic engineering could
potentially be used to lower the cost of production for some types of
pharmaceuticals, which may help to lower the price of potentially
life-saving new medicines in the future. The research demonstrates
that the genetic engineering of chloroplasts in plants is one
potential approach to producing pharmaceutical proteins more cost
effectively than through conventional means.

Plant cells have three types of subcellular compartments Ń called
organelles Ń that possess genetic material, or DNA: the nucleus, the
plastid and the mitochondrion. Commercially useful plant genetic
engineering has focused on the insertion of genes into nuclear DNA.
This new research from Monsanto is the first to demonstrate the
potential for using the chloroplast Ń the most abundant plastid type
found in leaves Ń for producing a pharmaceutical protein through
genetic engineering.

"Conventional production means are costly, and what the genetic
engineering of plastids may offer is a less expensive, more efficient
way to produce important pharmaceutical proteins," said Jeffrey
Staub, Manager of the Plastid Transformation Program for Monsanto and
primary author of the Nature Biotechnology paper. "This, in turn,
could eventually lead to lower-cost drugs that might help make such
life-saving medicines more accessible to those who need them."

The Monsanto research team produced human somatotropin, a hormone
most often used to treat hypopituitary dwarfism in children, in the
chloroplasts of tobacco plants. Human somatotropin is currently
produced commercially through the use of genetically engineered
bacteria, a conventional, but costly, approach widely used to produce
certain types of pharmaceuticals.

"While research on genetic engineering of pharmaceutical proteins in
plants is not new, the focus on chloroplasts is. This is the first
therapeutic protein produced through genetic engineering of
chloroplasts," said Staub. "In this initial research, we have
produced proteins in amounts more than 300-fold greater than obtained
with traditional plant genetic engineering."

"Taken together, our findings are a significant step forward.
However, we recognize that this research is preliminary and much more
additional research remains before we know if this will be a
commercially viable technology for the pharmaceutical industry."

The initial research presented in the Nature Biotechnology article
was conducted by Monsanto Company scientists including scientists
from a separate Monsanto business unit, Integrated Protein
Technologies (IPT), that is using more advanced nuclear-based genetic
engineering to create pharmaceutical drugs in plants.

The March edition of Nature Biotechnology will be available on
newsstands March 1. As a life sciences company, Monsanto is committed
to finding solutions to the growing global needs for food and health
by sharing common forms of science and technology among agriculture,
nutrition and health. The company's 30,200 employees worldwide make
and market high-value agricultural products, pharmaceuticals and food
ingredients. For more information on Monsanto, access
www.monsanto.com.

For more information, please contact:
Bryan Hurley  +1-314-694-8387)

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |