8-Misc: How US put pressure on Blair over GM food

TITLE:
SOURCE: Guardian, UK, by David Hencke and Rob Evans
DATE:   February 28, 2000

How US put pressure on Blair over GM food

President Clinton was briefed to put intensive pressure on Tony Blair
to open up Britain and Europe to US genetically modified food and
crops during private talks at the Downing Street summit in 1998,
papers released to the Guardian revealed yesterday. And within 24
hours of US protests, Britain had acted to modify proposals to try to
open the way for more GM food being sold in Britain and the rest of
the European Union. The approach, which was never made public, was
timed for three separate meetings - two in Downing Street's state
dining room, and at Dunbar Court in the foreign office, at the EU
summit on May 18.

Documents released to the Guardian under the US freedom of
information act reveal President Clinton was briefed to warn Mr Blair
- who then held the EU presidency - that "the EU's slow and non-
transparent approval process for genetically modified organisms has
cost US exporters hundreds of millions in lost sales." It goes on:
"In the spirit of increased US-EU regulatory cooperation, we urge the
EU to take immediate action to ensure that these products receive a
timely review." Papers for the meeting show the same complaints were
put to President Jacques Santer, then head of the European
Commission, and Sir Leon Brittan, then EU foreign affairs
commissioner. The papers show more detailed complaints were put to
Margaret Beckett, then trade secretary, and Robin Cook, the foreign
secretary, by William Daley, the US trade secretary, and Madeleine
Albright, the US secretary of state, at meetings in the foreign
office and Downing Street that morning.

Participating in the talks were the co-chairmen of the Transatlantic
Business Dialogue - a lobbying organisation - Lodewijk de Vink, chief
executive of Warner-Lambert (now Time-Warner), the US international
media company, and Juergen Schrempp, chief executive of Daimler-Benz,
the car makers, who back deregulation of European-US trade. The
papers show that not only did the US attack the EU over the slow
approval of GM crops but it criticised the labelling of GM foods. The
brief reads: "Differences among member states over labelling have
been an impediment to reforming the approval process. We will be
watching the commission's efforts to implement its new guidelines for
labelling and we hope the EU can now move quickly to complete review
of the products in the pipeline.That said, the US sees no reason to
label a product simply because it has been genetically engineered.
Mandatory labelling of GMOs should be based on sound science."

The next day the Financial Times reported that the UK presidency had
brought forward proposals to scrap plans for labelling food saying
"it may contain GM ingredients" which had created an impasse with
national governments. The UK government - in line with US policy -
proposed to limit the products that could be labelled as containing
US soya bean derivatives.

DOWNING STREET DENIED ANY AMERICAN PRESSURE.

Last night the Guardian's disclosure was welcomed by Tony Juniper,
Friends of the Earth campaigner on GM food. He said: " The government
has repeatedly denied in private and public that the US has ever
raised or tried to put pressure on the government over GM food. These
previously secret briefing papers suggest the opposite occurred." The
papers also show that neither John Prescott, the deputy prime
minister, who had overall responsibility for the environment, nor
Michael Meacher, the environment minister in charge of GM crops, were
invited to these discussions. The briefing papers will be banned
under home secretary Jack Straw's freedom of information bill until
2029.

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |