2-Plants: Miraculous GE world (2): GE plants will help colonizing Mars

TITLE:  Genetic engineering of plants urged to aid in space travel
SOURCE: Post Gazette, USA, by Michael Woods
        http://www.post-gazette.com:80/healthscience/
        20000219space6.asp
DATE:   February 19, 2000

Genetic engineering of plants urged to aid in space travel

WASHINGTON -- Scientists say the colonization of Mars could be
accelerated if they can breed a new generation of trees that grow
their own protective "greenhouses."

Freeman Dyson, a renowned physicist at Princeton University's
Institute for Advanced Physics, proposes that a government-university
research program be launched to genetically engineer such plants. He
spoke yesterday at the national meeting of the American Association
for the Advancement of Science.

"Turtles grow their own shell," Dyson said. "Polar bears grow fur to
survive in the cold. Growing protective coverings that permit life in
harsh environments is something animals are very good at. Plants
haven't learned the trick yet. Maybe gene transfer can help them out."

Dyson said that breeding such plants would solve the problem of
providing a suitable human habitat and an ample supply of food and
other material for space colonists. Instead of transporting air-tight
domes and other essentials from Earth -- at enormous cost -- space
colonists would bring the new generation of saplings instead.

"Forests would build huge greenhouses over their heads," said Dyson,
describing how groups of greenhouses would grow together to form
extended habitats for people, food crops, and domestic animals. The
greenhouses would consist of a tough, transparent skin that would
keep the enclosed space warm as heat from the sun enters and is
trapped inside. The skin would conserve oxygen that trees and other
plants produce during photosynthesis. It also would conserve precious
water vapor and other moisture.

A hare-brained idea? Not in the view of National Aeronautics and
Space Administration scientists, who agreed that the habitat problem
is a major barrier to colonization of space.

"We actually have a very active program in plant biotechnology," said
Kathie Olsen, NASA's chief scientist. "I can see the images in Dr.
Dyson's vision."

Dr. Yoji Kondo, an expert on human space travel at NASA's Goddard
Space Flight Center, suggested that plants genetically modified to
thrive on other worlds will become a reality.

Olsen said NASA has by no means ruled out the possibility of
genetically modifying astronauts, as well, to cope better with the
stresses of long-duration space flight. It would involve inserting
genes that protect against major health problems associated with low-
gravity conditions in space.

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |