8-Misc: Brazil court foils Monsanto again on GM soybeans

TITLE:  Brazil court foils Monsanto again on GM soybeans
SOURCE: Reuters, by Reese Ewing
DATE:   June 30, 2000

Brazil court foils Monsanto again on GM soybeans

SAO PAULO - U.S. biotechnology giant Monsanto Co. has taken another
blow in Brazil's courts after a judge upheld a ban against the sale
of the company's transgenic soybeans without a prior study on local
environmental impact. The ruling came late Wednesday from the
regional federal court in Brasilia, which upheld an injunction
slapped on Monsanto last year after a lawsuit brought by a leading
local consumer protection group, IDEC.

IDEC and the international environmentalist group Greenpeace cheered
the court's decision, saying it was "another important victory for
IDEC and society." "Once again the court recognises that the
government and Monsanto are disrespectful of Brazilian law, putting
people's health and the environmental balance at risk," said IDEC
official Marilena Lazzarini.

Monsanto has been struggling since 1998 to obtain government approval
for its genetically modified (GM) Roundup Ready variety of soybeans
to be sold in Brazil. According to Monsanto's Brazil unit, the
regional federal court in Brasilia may soon issue a definitive
ruling, rather than merely upholding the injunction. "We are
disappointed that the court did not reach a final decision," said
Gustavo Leite, director-general of Monsanto Brazil. "We are confident
the court will reach a final decision when it reconvenes in August
that will permit the sale of Roundup Ready in Brazil." Agricultural
giant Brazil, the world's No. 2 soybean producer, is the only GM-free
country in the western hemisphere.

In 1998 the government's National Biosafety Commission (CTNBio) found
the herbicide-resistant Roundup Ready soy clear of any health risk
for human or animal consumption, and the Agriculture Ministry tipped
its hat to Monsanto. But last August a federal court granted the IDEC
an injunction and ruled that Monsanto would have to conduct a one-
year environmental impact study of its GM seeds in Brazil before the
ban on sales could be lifted.

BRAZIL COULD LOSE KEY NICHE MARKETS IF GM CROPS APPROVED

If Brazil eventually gives the green light to GM grains such as
soybeans, corn and cotton, the gains made by farmers in lower costs
and increased production may be offset by industry losses in exports
to finicky buyers, analysts say. Brazil's reputation for producing
conventional soybeans and shunning genetically-tampered crops and
other foodstuffs has won it some exclusive clients in Europe and
Asia. Many European markets have placed import restrictions on GM
produce from the United States and have bought from Brazil instead,
touting the goods as GM-free to health-conscious consumers.

On Today CTNBio is due to rule on the safety of importing GM corn for
use as animal feed. Approval could pave the way for a major
government policy shift on GM foods. The commission is widely
expected to approve the imports of GM corn, one of the few
agricultural commodities where Brazil's production is insufficient to
satisfy domestic demand.

Brazilian farmers may be skirting the GM ban and tapping the black
market for illegal seeds smuggled in from neighbouring Argentina, the
world's second largest GM soy planter after the United States.
Brazil's Association of Seed Producers (Abrasem) has informally
estimated that contraband varieties may account for 10 percent of
national production and as much as 30 percent of soybean crops in the
key southern growing states whose climate is best suited for
Argentine seeds.