6-Genetech §§: BIOSAFETY - Anti GE crop demonstration in Montreal

TITLE:  Demonstration against GE crops in Montreal
SOURCE: Biotech Action Montreal (BAM), Greenpeace International
        Les Groupes De Recherche En Intérêt Public (GRIP)
        The Council of Canadians
DATE:   January, 2000

Demonstration against GE crops in Montreal

The most important and largest DEMONSTRATION (in North America to
date) against the forced selling of Genetically Engineered crops
is happening in Montreal, on Saturday Jan 22, 2000 at 999
University (Metro Square Victoria, exit Viger).

If you believe in any of the following:

1) MANDATORY LABELLING of foods containing genetically engineered
food products

2) MORATORIUM on all GE food products, unless it can be
definitively proven that they pose no short/long-term risks to
health or the environment; currently, no long-term tests have
been done on GE crops now found in the marketplace - despite the
emerging evidence of unwanted effects.

3) THE RIGHT of all nations to refuse imports of transgenic crops
that could pose health or environmental risks.

then, by showing up at the demonstration, you will be making an
unprecedented statement in front of local, national, and major
international media. You will be criticizing the Canadian
government for robbing you of your right to choose the foods you
eat. You will be showing your disapproval that Canada is one of
six countries in the Biosafety Protocol negociations (out of a
total of 135) who is trying to force the other countries to
import transgenic crops with no consideration for the possible
health and environmental consequences.

                          *****

GREENPEACE @ THE COUNCIL OF CANADIENS, in conjunction with LES
GROUPES DE RECHERCHE EN INTÉRÊT PUBLIC (GRIP) & BIOTECH ACTION
MONTRÉAL (BAM)

invite you to..

IMPORTING TROUBLE:  A day of events looking at GENETIC
ENGINEERING AND TRADE

SATURDAY, JANUARY 22ND

10 am Workshops (Doors open at 9:30 am)

A day of workshops with international speakers on Genetic
Engineering, the Biosafety Protocol, the World Trade
Organization, the Precautionary Principle, and more.....

(Workshops in English and French)

University of Quebec in Montreal (UQAM), Pavillon Judith-Jasmin,
405 Ste Catherine East, 2nd floor. Room J-2930. Near Berri-UQAM
metro station.

12 noon Demonstration Departure Berri Square - corner of Ste
Catherine and Berri (Berri- UQAM metro station).

Rally at Biosafety meeting location - 999 University Street;
Square- Victoria metro station.

2 pm Workshops (Same location as morning)

7.30 pm (doors open at 6:45 pm)

An evening with ....

MAUDE BARLOW
CHEE YOKE LING AND
JEREMY RIFKIN
Introduced by DANIEL PINARD

UQAM - Pavillon Judith-Jasmin; Marie-Gerin-Lajoie Auditorium,
Metro floor (Berri-UQAM metro station). English/French
interpretation available.

MAUDE BARLOW
Political activist, author, policy critic and outspoken crusader
against the WTO

JEREMY RIFKIN
Author of  "The Biotech Century" and "Beyond Beef", president of
the Foundation on Economic Trends in Washington, D.C.

CHEE YOKE LING
Lawyer with the Third World Network, working on laws to control
corporations involved in biotechnology and the patenting of life
forms.

MODERATOR:  DANIEL PINARD
Gourmet journalist, author and TV program host.

1-800-387-7177

All events FREE - seating is limited - please come early.

******
For more info about the Biosafety Protocol, check out,

http://www.greenpeace.org/~geneng/

For more info about the free public presentations and workshops
that will be offered around Jan 22, read below.

Here's the announcement for the NGO forum to be held in january,
to be spread widely. If anyone would like to give a hand on the
day of the event, please let me know as soon as possible either
by email

nadine.bachand@dialb.greenpeace.org

it would be really appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

*****

Bonjour à tous les BAMers!
Voici le message annonce du forum qui aura lieu le 22 janvier
prochain à l'occasion des négociations pour le protocole sur la
biosécurité, à faire circuler le plus largement. Si un(e) de vous
est intéressé(e) à donner un coup de main lors de cette journée,
s.v.p. faites moi signe le plus tot possible par
courriel nadine.bachand@dialb.greenpeace.org ce serait très
apprécié!

Salutations sans OGM!

Nadine Bachand

BAM and Greenpeace GMO campaigner BAM et responsable de la
campagne OGM à Greenpeace

                            *****

Subject: Citizens' Forum on Genetic Engineering and Trade 1-22
2000

January 22, 2000 - Montreal, Quebec

SPREAD THE WORD! Saturday, January 22, Greenpeace together with
the Council of Canadians will be hosting a Citizens' Forum on
genetic engineering (GE). This event is being held in conjunction
with the next round of negotiations on the Biosafety Protocol
(see below) to be held in Montreal January 24-28.

A series of workshops and presentations will be held throughout
the day on a range of topics related to GE and trade. The
workshops will be facilitated by Canadian and international
activists and experts on the perils of genetic engineering, life-
form patenting, and links to the WTO. There will be a public
protest mid-day, to protest efforts by Canada, the U.S. and
others to kill the deal.

In the evening, we will hold a large-scale public event with
prominent guest speakers, including Maude Barlow, the Council's
Volunteer National Chairperson. Locations and times for all
events TBA. An email update will be sent early in the new year.

BACKGROUND ON THE BIOSAFETY PROTOCOL:
International environmental rules are being negotiated in order
to control the transportation across borders, handling and uses
of any genetically engineered organism that may have adverse
effects on the conservation and sustainable use of biological
diversity. These rules will form the "Biosafety Protocol", which
will form part of the U.N Convention on Biological Diversity.

The Protocol was meant to be adopted in February 1999 but
negotiations broke down mainly because of a US-led group of 6
grain-exporting countries who refused to accept environmental
controls over their exports of transgenic crops. Governments are
due to resume and conclude negotiations on the Protocol in early
2000 [January 24-28, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada]. Once the
Protocol is finalised and adopted, it will be known as the
"Cartagena Protocol" to recognise the efforts made to reach
agreement in Cartagena, Colombia.

The above introduction to the Biosafety Protocol and other more
detailed information can be found on the Greenpeace web site at:

http://www.greenpeace.org/~geneng/

Other information can be found at:

http://concordia.pirg.ca/activist

|                   GENET                     |
| European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering |
|             Hartmut MEYER (Mr)              |
|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
|                 Germany                     |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |