5-Animals: Genzyme and Alexion collaborate in gene-pharming

TITLE:  Genzyme Transgenics Corporation and Alexion
        Pharmaceuticals Inc. sigh agreement for transgenic
        collaboration
SOURCE: Genzyme Transgenics, USA, Press Release
        www.transgenics. com
DATE:   January 10, 2000

Genzyme Transgenics Corporation and Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
sigh agreement for transgenic collaboration

Framingham, Mass. and New Haven, CT., January 10, 2000 - Genzyme
Transgenics Corporation and Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
announced today that they have signed an agreement to produce a
recombinant protein using GTC's transgenic manufacturing system.
Under this agreement, Genzyme Transgenics will work with Alexion
to develop a large scale manufacturing approach for one of
Alexion's recombinant protein products.

"Our alliance with Alexion affirms the value of transgenic
production in the development and potential commercialization of
protein therapeutics," said Sandra Nusinoff Lehrman, M.D.,
President and Chief Executive Officer of Genzyme Transgenics. "We
are pleased to initiate this relationship with Alexion, a partner
who shares our commitment to provide innovative new therapies for
unmet medical needs."

In the first phase of this program, Genzyme Transgenics will
develop transgenic animals that produce the recombinant protein
in their milk, for which Genzyme Transgenics will receive
development and milestone fees from Alexion. Depending on results
of the development and clinical programs, it is expected that the
companies would enter into supply agreements for clinical and
commercial production.

"In concert with the expanded breadth of our development
programs, we are pleased to be working with Genzyme Transgenics
on this project," said David Keiser, Executive Vice President and
Chief Operating Officer for Alexion. "We look forward to gaining
important benefits that this technology can offer for high
volume, low cost protein production."

Genzyme Transgenics Corporation has successfully produced over 60
human proteins in animals' milk, including monoclonal antibodies,
immunoglobulin fusion proteins, hard-to-express and plasma
proteins, achieving higher expression and at greater volume than
can be obtained using alternate production systems. Genzyme
Transgenics is currently working with recognized leaders in the
biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, like Alexion
Pharmaceuticals, to produce transgenic proteins as potential
treatments for a variety of diseases, such as autoimmune and
inflammatory disorders, cardiovascular diseases, and HIV/AIDS.

Genzyme Transgenics Corporation applies transgenic technology to
enable the development and production of recombinant proteins and
monoclonal antibodies for medical uses. Primedica Corporation,
Genzyme Transgenics' contract research organization, provides
preclinical development and testing services to pharmaceutical,
biotechnology, medical device and other companies. Genzyme
Transgenics Corporation is also developing idiotypic vaccines in
collaboration with the National Cancer Institute.

Alexion is engaged in the development of products for the
treatment of cardiovascular, autoimmune and neurologic diseases
caused by undesired effects of the human immune system. Alexion's
two lead product candidates are currently in six clinical
development programs- 5G1.1-SC, in a Phase IIb cardiopulmonary
bypass efficacy trial and two Phase II myocardial infarction
efficacy trials in collaboration with Procter & Gamble; and
5G1.1, in Phase II efficacy trials for the chronic treatment of
rheumatoid arthritis and membranous nephritis.

This press release contains forward-looking statements as defined
in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such
forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks,
uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results
to differ materially from future results expressed or implied by
such statements. Factors that may cause such differences include,
but are not limited to, those discussed in Genzyme Transgenics
Corporation's prospectuses and Forms 10-K and Alexion's
prospectuses and Forms 10-K, as filed with the Securities and
Exchange Commission, including the uncertainties associated with
product development, the risk that clinical trials will not
commence when planned, the risks that a product will not prove to
be safe and effective and uncertainties associated with
dependence upon the actions of government and regulatory
agencies, including, without limitation, the risk that such
regulators will not grant the requisite approval for a product on
a timely basis or at all.

Contacts:
Patricia F. Dimond, Ph.D., Director of Corporate Development and
Communications
(508) 270-2374
Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc. David W. Keiser, Executive Vice
President and COO
(203) 776-1790
Burns McClellan, Inc. Ethan Denkensohn (investors), Miriam Weber
(media) (212) 213-0006

|                   GENET                     |
| European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering |
|             Hartmut MEYER (Mr)              |
|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
|                 Germany                     |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |