2-Plants: Some remarks on insect Bt-resistance

TITLE:  A) Bt toxin: Assessing GM strategies
        B) Resistance to Bt toxins
        C) [Without title]
SOURCE: all three letters from Science, edited by AGNET, Canada
        A) by T. Wallimann
        B) by B. E. Tabashnik, R. T. Roush, E. D. Earle
        C) by F. Huang, L. Buschman, R. Higgins, W. McGaughey
DATE:   January 7, 2000

Bt toxin: Assessing GM strategies

Theo Wallimann, Institute of Cell Biology, ETH-Honggerberg, CH
8093 Zurich, Switzerland,
writes in this letter that the debate over possible deleterious
effects on the Monarch butterfly of genetically engineered plants
expressing a biological insecticide (Bt toxin) is described in
the News Focus article "Risks and benefits:GM crops in the cross
hairs" by Dan Ferber (26 Nov., p. 1662). In response, says
Wallimann, some critical points should be raised.

The issue is broader than whether Bt toxin (from the bacterium
Bacillus thuringiensis) produced by genetically modified (GM)
crops imperils Monarch butterflies. The real issue is that a
strategy to constitutively express an insecticidal compound in
large-scale crop monocultures (15 million acres of Bt corn was
planted in the United States in 1998, 20% of the total acreage of
corn), and thus expose a homogeneous subecosystem continuously to
the toxin, seems bound to create Bt-toxin-resistant pests because
of heavy selection pressure.

Sooner or later we will likely see Bt-toxin resistance in those
insects that are continuously in contact with these monocultures
and feed on them. If or when this occurs, we will have lost the
use of a valuable bio-insecticide. For about 30 years Bt toxin
has been applied on the spot (by spraying B. thuringiensis
directly onto plants) and only when there are signs of
infestation of the crops by insects. It is the most successful
biological insecticide control system we have and would probably
retain its potency against pests for many more years to come. Bt
toxin has been found to leak through the root system of Bt-toxin
GM maize into the soil, which could possibly affect a myriad of
insects in the soil and give rise to horizontal gene transfer,
for example, through soil bacteria (1). Perhaps we should
consider going back to the drawing board and designing better GM
strategies with less or none of such drawbacks.