7-Business: Major Japanese food processors stop import from unsegregated US harvests

TITLE:  A) Nisshin to end use of GM crops for home products
        B) Kibun food to stop using GM ingredients in soymilk
SOURCE: both Reuters
DATE:   both December 21, 1999

A) Nisshin to end use of GM crops for home products

TOKYO - Nisshin Flour Milling Co Ltd , Japan's largest flour
miller, said yesterday it will stop using ingredients produced
from genetically modified (GM) corn and soybeans in its flour
products for home use by the end of next February. The company
plans to use wheat starch as an alternative for corn starch and
replace soybean protein with wheat protein due to consumer
concerns about the safety of bioengineered food products, a
company spokesman said.

"We have decided to use wheat-based ingredients because we found
it difficult to secure a sufficient volume of ingredients made
from non-GM corn and soybeans," he said. The company uses a total
of 2,000 tonnes of corn starch, soybean protein and soy powders
annually in its flour products for home use, the spokesman said.
Nisshin is also talking to its corporate clients about the
possible elimination of GM ingredients from its business-use
flour products, he said.

*****

B) Kibun food to stop using GM ingredients in soymilk

TOKYO - Kibun Food Chemifa Co Ltd , Japan's largest soybean milk
maker, said yesterday it will stop using ingredients derived from
genetically-modified (GM) corn in its soybean milk products by
March next year. The company plans to use rice bran oil as an
substitute for corn oil and replace high fructose corn syrup
(HFCS) with sugar, in an attempt to wipe out consumer doubts
about the safety of foods containing GMOs, a Kibun official said.
As for soybeans, all the crops Kibun uses to make soymilk are
imports from China that are grown from non-GM seed varieties, the
official said.

"We have decided to eliminate all the GM ingredients from soymilk
products, which have marked double-digit growth for the past
several years due to its image as a healthy drink," he said.
Kibun is using about 600 tonnes of HFCS and 300 tonnes of corn
oil in its soymilk products for the current business year to
March 31, 2000, he said. Kibun accounts for about a 50 percent
share in Japan's soymilk market worth some 17 billion yen this
year, he said.

|                   GENET                     |
| European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering |
|             Hartmut MEYER (Mr)              |
|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
|                 Germany                     |
| phone: +49-551-7702811                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |