3-Food: French supermarket Carrefour buys 180,000 t non-GMO Brazilian soy

TITLE:  Carrefour leads purchase of non-GMO Brazil soy
SOURCE: Reuters, by Joelle Diderich
DATE:   February 23, 2000

Carrefour leads purchase of non-GMO Brazil soy

PARIS - A pool of French pork and poultry farmers and animal feed
makers led by retailer Carrefour has signed a deal to buy non-
genetically modified soybeans from Brazil, a company official said on
Tuesday. The group will buy 180,000 tonnes of Brazilian soybeans this
year in support of Carrefour's policy of removing genetically
modified organisms (GMOs) from its products, said Gilles Debrosse,
director of fresh products. Carrefour has scrapped GMOs from hundreds
of own-brand goods ranging from breakfast cereals to confectionery
amid protests from environmental activists. It aims to remove GMO
ingredients from all its products by 2002.

"Carrefour, faithful to its principles of precaution and prevention,
is responding to the expectations of consumers who do not wish to eat
GMOs, directly or indirectly, and is anticipating regulations on GMOs
in animal feed," said Debrosse. Carrefour has hired inspection
company SGS to supervise production, crushing and shipment to ensure
the Brazilian grain is properly segregated to prevent any accidental
contamination, said Debrosse.

Soybeans from 850 farmers in the central state of Goias will be taken
by truck to a dedicated crushing plant in the town of Jatai owned by
Coimbra, part of the Louis Dreyfus group. The plant will produce
25,000 tonnes of soymeal pellets per month, which will be carried by
road and rail to the port of Vitoria in Espirito Santo state, from
where they will be shipped to St Nazaire in northwest France by
importer Soules-Caf.

Demand for non-GMO soy rising

Buyers will pay a premium of 125 francs per tonne over the current
market price of 1,000 francs per tonne, said Debrosse. The impact on
retail prices would be negligible. Carrefour hoped to extend the
policy to its cattle and sheep suppliers and was considering the
states of Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul as future suppliers.
"Our potential with all our other order books, sheep and cattle, is
for a total 300,000 tonnes," he said. The companies participating in
the deal were Cooperl, Duc-Bourgoin, La Cana, Groupe Zaffani, LDC,
Fipso-Actalim, Guyomarc'h and Agralco-Ucanor Ouest.

|          Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51            |
|            D - 37083 Goettingen             |
| phone: +49-551-7700027                      |
| fax:   +49-551-7701672                      |