6-Regulation: US community barred GE crops from local land

TITLE:  Boulder, Colo., city government unit bans GMOs on city land
        rented to farmers
SOURCE: Pro Farmer, by Greg Avery
        http://www.agweb.com/news/news.cfm?id=10856&breakingnews=1&pf
        =1
DATE:   August 24, 2000

Boulder, Colo., city government unit bans GMOs on city land rented to
farmers

Another locality has taken official action to curb plantings of
genetically modified crops. One California community's city counsel
discussed such a limit on public property earlier, and now the City
of Boulder, Colorado, has taken specific action barring farmers from
using GMO crops on the land it rents to them. The Boulder Open Space
Department barred genetically modified agricultural crops from city
lands Wednesday, endorsing the argument that too little is known
about the engineered plants' long-term ecological impacts.

The policy is similar to a proposal being studied by Boulder County
for its open space land. Concerned about the possibility of having
herbicide-resistant plants introduced to open space, department
Director Jim Crain asked the city's Open Space Board of Trustees to
add language to leases for agricultural operations on open space that
would bar any genetically modified organism from being introduced.

What do you think?
Should the City of Boulder ban genetically engineered crops on open
space?
Why, or why not?
E-mail your opinion to mailto:feedback@thedailycamera.com
We will publish your responses in a couple of days.
Please include your name and city of residence.

The trustees approved the policy unanimously Wednesday night.
According to city figures, nearly half of the city's 33,000 acres of
open space is leased for agriculture, though only about 400 acres
have grain crops for human consumption grown on them. The Open Space
Department asked the trustees to ratify the ban even though it's
impact on the ground will be small, said Bryan Pritchett, open space
resource conservation coordinator. "One of our charges is to protect
environmental resources, and there are enough concerns about
genetically modified crops to justify taking this action," Pritchett
said.

In 1998, a 2-acre plot of Monsanto's Roundup Ready corn --
genetically modified corn designed to withstand the company's popular
herbicide -- was tested on an open space parcel. No other genetically
modified crops have been grown on city land. "There's whole host of
biological and societal questions about this practice. Ethically, I'm
not sure we want it represented on public land we control," Pritchett
said. "Our take is that until a whole lot more is known about GMO
impacts then we'd rather not have them." Millions of acres of
genetically changed crops have been grown in the United States, and
critics argue that the plants could pollinate and change other
species, threatening ecosystems over time. The European Union has
taken steps to eliminate importation of genetically modified produce.

Boulder's ban came at the urging of the Rocky Mountain Peace and
Justice Center. The center also supports state, national and
international efforts to force labeling of genetically modified foods
and to enact moratoriums on the use of genetically modified organisms
until significant testing concludes they are safe. Though the
physical impact of the ban may be small, the educational aspect of
the ban is invaluable, said Peace and Justice staff member Carolyn
Bninski. "We feel it's important to make this statement. It's a way
to educate the public on what is really an important issue," Bninski
said. "We may be jeopardizing our long-term ability to feed ourselves
and to live on the earth."

Crystal Grey, the most senior member of the Boulder Open Space Board
of Trustees, said the panel decided that formalizing the ban was
necessary to ensure the safety of open space ecosystems. Concerns
over the spread of potential herbicide-resistant plants, dubbed
"super weeds" by detractors, was enough to warrant the measure, Grey
said. "Fortunately, staff is way out ahead of everybody on these
things" she said. "It was almost a no-brainer when they brought it to
us."

Mayor Will Toor, director of University of Colorado's Environmental
Center, said he believes Boulder should err on the side of caution
when it comes to allowing modified crops on city land. "I don't think
we have adequate safeguards in the process of going from research
labs into the environment," Toor said. "I think it makes sense for
the city to be very careful about what gets released on its public
lands."