!!! NOT TRUE: ECJ rejects Dutch opposition to patents directive

ATTENTION:
This information, as is is formulated below, IS INCORRECT !!!

In fact the ECJ has not yet ruled on the issue of the Dutch
challenge.

The article below refers merely to an additional request by the
Dutch government for an INTERIM INJUNCTION ! The Dutch have
argued that the ECJ should pass such an INTERIM INJUNCTION to
prevent Member States to transform the Patents Directive
(98/44/EC) before the Court actually rules on the content of the
Dutch challenge.When this ruling will take place is still unclear.
But the court argued that an interim injunction is not justified. This
was expected and DOES NOT GIVE ANY HINT AS TO WHAT
AND WHEN THE FINAL RULING WILL BE !!!

The full text of this ruling (in Dutch and French only) can be found
at the ECJ's webpage: www.curia.eu.int  search for case C-377/98.

Thomas Schweiger

On 24 Aug 00, at 15:44, Gill Lacroix wrote:

> 8/24/00 NETHERLANDS: EU COURT REJECTS PATENT REQUEST.
> The European Court of Justice has rejected a request from the Netherlands to suspend a EU directive concerning patents on biotechnology, junior economic affairs minister Gerrit Ybema said yesterday. As a result, Holland is obliged to rapidly resolve the current deadlock over planned changes in
the national patent law, to allow the patenting of biotechnological products. The Council of State is to advise on the issue in September. After this, patents on genetically modified animals and plants will be discussed in parliament. PAGE7.