ECJ rejects Dutch opposition to patents directive

8/24/00 NETHERLANDS: EU COURT REJECTS PATENT REQUEST.
The European Court of Justice has rejected a request from the Netherlands to suspend a EU directive concerning patents on biotechnology, junior economic affairs minister Gerrit Ybema said yesterday. As a result, Holland is obliged to rapidly resolve the current deadlock over planned changes in the national patent law, to allow the patenting of biotechnological products. The Council of State is to advise on the issue in September. After this, patents on genetically modified animals and plants will be discussed in parliament. PAGE7.
(c) 2000 Het Financieele Dagblad
For more information about Het Financieele Dagblad, please visit our website at: www.hfd.nl.
HET FINANCIEELE DAGBLAD (IN BRIEF) 24/08/2000
Gill Lacroix
Biotechnology Coordinator
Friends of the Earth Europe
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power.  We have guided missiles and misguided men".  Martin Luther King Jr.