6-Regulation: Philippinian parlamentarian files GE food labelling law

TITLE:  Taņada files bill that will label GMO in food
SOURCE: The Philippine Post, by Dennis A. Maliwanag
DATE:   August 15, 2000

Taņada files bill that will label GMO in food

Christians may not at all be bothered eating food with spliced genes
from pigs. But that's enough reason for the Muslims to declare yet
another war. A bill has been filed by Rep. Wigberto Taņada (LP,
Quezon) requiring the mandatory labeling of food and food products
containing genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) as well as food
produced by genetic engineering technology.

"Besides considerations for risks to human health, all civilizations
respect the very basic right of individuals to religious belief,"
said Taņada. "Unlabelled genetically-engineered food and food
products will violate this right," Taņada said in his statement. He
added that Muslims "have the right to know if the food they are
eating have been spliced with genes from pigs," said Taņada.

House Bill No. 11977 will require domestically-sold food products to
have this warning: "Government notice: This product contains a
genetically-engineered material, or was produced with a genetically
engineered material." Labeling of GMO food is mandatory in many parts
of Europe and consumer groups in the United States are pushing for
their government to do the same.

"This bill, however, does not deign to judge the merits of the issue
of benefits or risks of genetically-engineered foods," Taņada said.
"Rather, the purpose of this bill is to ensure that all consumers of
food and food products are made aware of the contents of what they
are buying and eating."

He said there is an ongoing debate worldwide on the safety of
genetically modified organisms or GMOs, their impact on the health of
the individuals and on the environment. "While this issue is being
debated, we cannot afford denying Filipino consumers the right to
know whether or not the food and food products they buy and consume
contain GMOs," said the former senator.

Results of experiments in the West cast serious doubts over the
safety of transgenic foods for humans Taņada said the bill is "in
line with the constitutionally vested right of our citizens to
information on matters of public concern, the constitutional mandate
for the State to protect and promote the right to health of the
people and instill health consciousness among them."