3-Food: Japanese and Canadian polls on consumers and GE food

TITLE:  A) Poll: More than 60% reluctant to eat GM foods
B) GMO debate: 95% of Canadians want the right to
           choose what they eat
SOURCE: A) The Daily Yomiuri Yomiuri Shimbun
           edited and sent by Agnet, Canada
        B) Canada NewsWire
           http://www.newswire.ca/releases/August2000/15/c0689.html
DATE:   A) August 12, 2000
        B) August 15, 200

A) Poll: More than 60% reluctant to eat GM foods

More than 60 percent of respondents voiced concerns over the safety
of genetically modified (GM) foods and about 70 percent said they
were reluctant to eat beef produced by cloning technology, in a
nationwide survey conducted by The Yomiuri Shimbun late last month.
According to the survey, which was conducted on July 29 and 30, more
than 40 percent of respondents were worried that a family member
might become a victim of food poisoning this summer.

Twenty-six percent of respondents said they were extremely concerned
about the safety of GM foods, while 36 percent were somewhat worried.
In all, 62 percent of respondents were unwilling to eat GM foods, a
number far exceeding the 35 percent that said they were not worried
about the safety of GM foods. Seventy percent of those surveyed
indicated they were at least somewhat reluctant to eat cloned beef,
while only 27 percent said they would have no problem doing so.

The survey also found that 68 percent of female respondents were
concerned about the safety of GM foods, while 76 percent were
unwilling to eat beef produced by cloning technology. Both figures
exceeded corresponding responses from males by more than 10 points.
Meanwhile, 55 percent of respondents said they were at least somewhat
unwilling to drink water straight from the tap, up two points from a
survey conducted three years ago.

Asked what kind of water they usually drink at home, only 39 percent
of respondents said they drink tap water directly from the tap.
Twenty-eight percent said they use water purifiers, while 25 percent
said they drink tap water after boiling it. Another 25 percent said
they drink mineral water.

                              *****

B) GMO debate: 95% of Canadians want the right to choose what they eat
   National Survey shows more Canadians shopping at natural health
   food stores

TORONTO, Aug. 15 /CNW/ - Ninety-five percent of Canadians believe
they should have the right to choose whether or not they buy foods
containing genetically modified ingredients. This is according to a
recent survey--The CHFA Health Study--conducted by the Canadian
Health Food Association (CHFA). The CHFA Health Study was carried out
to determine Canadians' attitudes towards genetically-modified foods
and their likelihood of shopping at natural health food stores. The
results showed that ninety-four percent of Canadians believe that
foods containing genetically-modified ingredients should be labeled
accordingly.

"The CHFA Health Study results demonstrate that Canadians clearly
believe that they are being denied freedom of choice," said Donna
Herringer, President, CHFA. "This survey confirms what we have
instinctively known for years - Canadians do not want to blindly
consume foods that contain GMOs. People want the right to read a
label and make an informed decision about what they put in their
bodies."

The CHFA Health Study demonstrated that there has been a significant
increase over the past two years in the number of Canadians shopping
at health food stores. Over one quarter of Canadians indicated they
are more likely to shop at a health food store as compared to two
years ago. Knowing that certified organic foods are free of GMOs,
over one third of Canadians said they were more likely to purchase
organic foods than they were two years ago. The CHFA is actively
tracking Canadians' attitudes towards GMOs because some of its
members produce labeled GMO-free products. These products are being
pulled off major retailers' shelves due exclusively to the presence
of the 'GMO-free' label.

"We are hearing that our members are being required to sticker over
the GMO-free label at certain retail locations," said Herringer. "The
solution for manufacturers who refuse to comply with this demand is
to sell through natural health food stores who can offer clearly
labeled GMO-free products. The solution for consumers is to shop at
natural health food stores as they provide certified organic, GMO-
free products."

Highlights from The CHFA Health Study are follows:
- 95% of respondents believe that Canadians should have the right to
  choose whether or not they buy foods containing GMOs
- 94% believe foods containing GMOs should have a label indicating
  the products contain genetically-modified ingredients
- Two thirds of Canadians believe it is important to know whether the
  foods they eat contain GMOs
- Close to 60% of Canadians believe that GMOs pose a risk to the
  Canadian food supply
- More than one quarter of Canadians are more likely to shop at a
  health food store as compared to two years ago
- Upon learning that certified organic foods do not contain GMOs, 38%
  of Canadians are more likely to buy organic foods

The CHFA Health Survey was conducted by Omnitel, a division of
Thompson Lightstone. A national sample of 1,000 Canadian adults were
surveyed.

The Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA) is a non-profit,
federally chartered trade association formed in Vancouver in 1964.
The CHFA represents 1,200 members from all sectors of the natural
health products industry including retailers, manufacturers,
importers, distributors and publishers.

For further information: or to arrange an interview with a CHFA
spokesperson, please contact: Tracey Bochner/Anne Mortensen, APEX
Public Relations, (416) 924-4442