6-Regulation: Aventis breached Australia's biosafety recommendations

TITLE:  GM crop trial 'breached rules'
SOURCE: The Sydney morning Herald, Australia, by Mark Metherell
        http://www.smh.com.au/news/0008/14/national/national2.html
DATE:   August 14, 2000

GM crop trial 'breached rules'

The multinational genetic crop company Aventis breached Australian
safety recommendations, raising the risk of uncontrolled seed
dispersal from a genetically modified canola crop, a Federal
regulator has found. Aventis has dismissed the breaches, involving a
trial GM canola crop at Mt Gambier earlier this year, as "minor
departures" from recommended practice. The company blamed
"difficulties" in the incident on lack of clear and unambiguous
regulatory arrangements. The head of the Federal Interim Office of
the Gene Technology Regulator, Ms Elizabeth Cain, confirmed to the
Herald last night that the regulator's investigation had found
breaches involving Aventis trials in five States, including NSW.

The breaches include the company's failure to show it had met a
requirement for a 15-metre buffer between conventional and GM canola
and failure to demonstrate adequate monitoring for a weedy relative
of canola. The investigation also found the company failed to comply
with recommended practices on the monitoring of GM offspring plants,
transport of GM seed and burial of trial crop residue. Ms Cain said
that while the breaches were not high risk and could be managed, it
was important for the public to be aware that the GM crop trial
breaches were thoroughly investigated.

In a report to a Senate committee, the interim office revealed the
findings of its three-month investigation of Aventis GM canola
trials, touched off by reports in March of the discovery of GM canola
seed dumped at a Mt Gambier tip. The report said the expert Genetic
Manipulation Advisory Committee had advised that none of the breaches
represented an increased risk to human health and safety because
there was negligible risk of transfer of the gene to commercial
canola crops. Even if transfer occurred, oil derived from the variety
of transgenic canola was approved by the Australia New Zealand Food
Authority for human consumption

But the committee advised that the breaches "may have resulted in an
increased risk to the environment because non-compliance with the
advisory committee's recommendations has increased the potential for
out-crossing [cross pollination] of GM canola, including through
uncontrolled seed dispersal". The interim regulator, which does not
have coercive or penalty powers, is to be replaced by a powerful
independent agency under legislation before the Parliament. It
acknowledged in the report that there was disagreement with Aventis
over two of the breaches, based on disagreement with the advisory
committee's original recommendations on the trials.

But Aventis says in its submission to the Senate committee inquiring
into the new legislation and the Mt Gambier incident that the
advisory committee "has been aware over a long period of many of the
so-called 'breaches' and took no action until the public and media
allegations were made". The company said "in any case, Aventis
considers many of what are called 'breaches' to represent little more
than differences of opinion between our experts and [the advisory
committee's]. It is urgent that there be a mechanism for the
resolution of such differences." Aventis invited the Senate committee
secretariat, or a consultant to it, to examine all aspects of this
matter, subject only to commercial confidentiality in reporting what
it found.