2-Plants: Mediterranean countries act against GE crops

TITLE:  A) France decides to destroy GM contaminated Soya crop
        B) Italy cabinet suspends four GM maize varieties
        C) Greece to uproot 9,000 acres of gene cotton
SOURCE: all Reuters, B) by David Brough, C) by Dina Kyriakidou
DATE:   A + B) August 7, 2000
        C) August 8, 2000

A) France decides to destroy GM contaminated Soya crop

PARIS - The French government ordered on Saturday the destruction of
46 hectares of soya crop after tests revealed that the seeds had been
contaminated with genetically modified organisms (GMOs). It was the
second time this year that the French have moved against GMO-tainted
crops and underlined the government's determination to limit the
spread of such organisms. A statement signed by four ministries said
the contaminated soya seed had been planted in fields in the far
south of the country around the Bouches-du-Rhone and Herault. It said
that the seed contained between 0.8 percent and 1.5 percent of
genetically modified material. It did not reveal which company had
supplied the seed.

France in May ordered the destruction of about 600 hectares of
rapeseed containing traces of GMOs after seed company Advanta Seeds
announced it had inadvertently sold imported seeds with traces of
genetically modified material to farmers in Europe. However,
officials decided last month not to destroy thousands of hectares of
maize planted with imported U.S. seed that also contained traces of
GMOs.

Saturday's statement, issued by the finance, agriculture, environment
and consumer affairs ministries, said that unlike maize, the
government had not yet authorised the use of any genetically modified
soya. It added that the contamination levels found in the soya lot
was much higher than European Union guidelines for GMOs, which was
pegged at 0.5 percent. Farmers affected by Saturday's decision will
be compensated. The statement said the soya crop was planted to
produce seeds.

                              *****

B) Italy cabinet suspends four GM maize varieties

ROME - Italy's cabinet suspended the marketing of four varieties of
genetically modified (GM) maize on Friday, a farm ministry
spokeswoman said. The cabinet decided to block the maize as a
precautionary measure amid concerns over possible health and
environmental risks from GM crops, she told Reuters. "Prime Minister
Giuliano Amato blocked the four GM maize varieties as a precautionary
step," she said.

The spokeswoman said seven transgenic food products had been reviewed
by the government, but she had no further details. She could not
identify the four GM maize products blocked by the cabinet. Last
December the Italian government decided to suspend temporarily the
use of seven GM food products, including four varieties of transgenic
maize, following opinions from the Italian Health Institute and the
Health Council.

Those four GM maize products were: maize Bt11, maize Mon 809, maize
Mon 810 and maize T25. The other three food products that were
temporarily suspended in December were derived from rapeseed -
rapeseed oil Gt73, rapeseed oil MS1 RS1 and rapeseed oil RF2 MS1. The
centre-left government of Prime Minister Amato, which took office in
April, opposes the sowing of GM crops in open fields because of
health and environmental concerns.

                              *****

C) Greece to uproot 9,000 acres of gene cotton

ATHENS - Greece will destroy up to 9,000 acres of cotton affected by
gene-modified (GM) seed and will compensate farmers, Agriculture
Minister George Anomeritis said yesterday. "Our decision is to
destroy them," he told a news conference. "Despite how small it is,
the problem exists." Anomeritis said the damage would cost about 1.2
billion drachmas ($3.24 million) but would not say where the funds
for compensation would come from.

The European Union bans all GM cotton, and environmentalists oppose
all gene-altered food and crops, saying they threaten the environment
and pose health risks. After environmental groups showed the ministry
samples of GM contaminated seed, authorities began extensive testing.
"Out of 14,000 tonnes planted, 6.4 tonnes had been contaminated,"
Anomeritis said. Destruction of crops would begin immediately and
last until September.

Greece bans the import of GM cotton seed and it was not immediately
clear how the seed became tainted, he added. Environmental groups
said Greece had moved too late and that other crops had already been
contaminated. "We don't even know the real extent of the problem. We
already had cross pollination and bees transferring pollen from one
field to the other," Greenpeace Greece campaign director Nikos
Charalambides told Reuters. He said the ministry took too long to
identify the problem and that the food chain was threatened as cotton
products were used in animal feed. Greenpeace and Friends of the
Earth in Brussels had urged the government to take rapid measures,
winning government pledges that affected crops would be destroyed at
an early stage.

Deputy Environment Minister Ilias Efthymiopoulos told a news
conference on July 12 that tainted plants would be uprooted before
they bloomed. Anomeritis said yesterday that although plants had
already bloomed, there was no risk of contamination.

Greece, a major cotton exporter, plants about 400,000 hectares to the
crop each year and receives EU subsidies for an industry that
supports hundreds of thousands of farmers. Asked if the incident
might result in fines or reprimands from the EU, Anomeritis said
Greece was in constant contact with EU authorities and faced no such
problem.