GENET archive

3-Food: South Korean food processor stops using GE soybeans

TITLE:  Pulmuone to stop using GM beans
SOURCE: The Korea Herald, by Shin Hye-son
DATE:   July 28, 2000

-------------------- archive: --------------------

Pulmuone to stop using GM beans

Pulmuone, the nation's largest maker of tofu and soybean products,
announced yesterday that it would stop using genetically modified
(GM) beans. "Considering the heated debate over the safety of
genetically modified organisms, we decided not to use GM beans in our
tofu and bean sprout products beginning next month," the company said
in a press release distributed yesterday. In order to prevent itself
from being embroiled in further GMO controversies, the company also
said that it had repeatedly visited non-GM-bean-cultivating complexes
in major import sources such as China, Russia and the United States.
All processes at these complexes, from cultivation to transportation,
were carefully checked, Pulmuone added. Pulmuone suffered a
significant drop in sales after the Korea Consumer Protection Board
disclosed last November that the company used GM beans in the
majority of its tofu products produced and sold in Korea.  Following
the report, the company filed a suit against the consumer protection
agency, demanding 10.6 billion won in damages. The case is currently
being tried.

| email:                    |