From: "CEDA" <ceda@uio.satnet.net>
To: <srctran@world.std.com>
Subject: Message for Gregory Aharonian
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 19:27:28 -0400

Dear Gregory Aharonian,

My organization, the Centro Ecuatoriano de Derecho Ambiental
(CEDA) is working with IUCN and Ministry of Environment to draft
a Biodiversity Law for Ecuador, which will include a section
governing access to genetic resources.  Towards the drafting
effort we are doing a comparative law survey on national laws
governing access to genetic resources.  We are primarily
researching the situation in the United States, Canada, the
European Union, and the Andean community.  This research will
serve as the basis for the legislation that will be implemented
here in Ecuador.

Your USTR fact sheet (of 1996 dealing with IPR) seems to make use
of national contacts monitoring the implementation of the TRIPs
agreement in member states.  I would be very grateful if you
could provide me with any contacts from the TRIPs member
countries who I might be able to correspond with about issues
relating to access to genetic resources.

I am familiar with the Biodiversity Convention and the following
Conferences of the Parties.  As well, I have encountered the
Biodiversity Strategy for the European Union.  However, I need
existing legislation specific to individual countries.

Thank you very much for your time and help.  Please send any
information to this email address ceda@uio.satnet.net

Sincerely,

Rachel Stewart
Ecuadorean Center for Environmental Law (CEDA)
Av. Eloy Alfaro 1770 y Rusia
Telefax: (593-2) 55-646/231-410/411
e.mail: ceda@uio.satnet.net
Quito-Ecuador

-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany