4-Patents: Request from India
- To: "GENET NEWS" <GENETemail@example.com>
- Subject: 4-Patents: Request from India
- From: GENET <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 12 May 99 08:17:14 +0200
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
- Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
- Reply-To: GENET <email@example.com>
- Resent-From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
I have been appointed by the Indian Law Institute Kerala Chapter under the auspices of the Honorable High Court of Kerala to conduct a research on the subject of patenting ayurvedic formulations:
Would be kind enough to comment on the following questions:
1. Ayurveda and Patent law two subject separated by several
thousand years ..
Can the latter regulate the former ?
If not, how can legitimate Indian intellectual rights be
protected from the emerging global markets ?
2. Out of 150 and odd works on Ayurveda how many are available
3. Is patenting of Ayurvedic formulations advantageous to India
in the future ?
4. Does your organization know of any patents in Ayurvedic
Do you have a portfolio of crucial formulations that are
patent pending ?
5. Can you suggest those important formulations that require
protection from global expropriation ?
6. In the context of pre-empting infringers from patenting would
it not be better to patent the essential Ayurvedic
formulations from the stand point of 'just in time' rather
than from the stand point of 'Just in case' ?
7. What steps are your organization members taking to maintain an
innovative pace and preventing of unscrupulous external
competition from stealing a march over Indian concepts on
materia medica ?
What steps are you taking to improve efficacy quality and
manufacturing practices ?
What is the level of research and development facilities
available with your organisation ?
8. Can you cite examples of successes in exploiting Ayurvedic
formulations globally ?
9. What steps are your people taking to legally protect bio
diversified plant varieties and organisms ?
10.Comment on the literature available on the subject of Ayurveda
11.Suggest a single most important global strategy for successful
exploitation and protection of Ayurvedic formulations ?
I will be most grateful if you can answer these questions as your answers will enable tangible steps to be taken by our nation to protect and secure Ayurveda.
SATISH MURTHI, ADVOCATE
Dr. Krishnaswami Road,
Fax: +91 484 381521
Tel: +91 484 361010
-| Hartmut Meyer
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| phone: #49-551-7700027
-| fax : #49-551-7701672
-| email: firstname.lastname@example.org