7-Misc: Pioneer buys Brazilian soy breeder Dois Marcos

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
PIONEER ACQUIRES TROPICAL SOYBEAN BREEDING PROGRAM DES MOINES

By Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
Contact: Tim Martin of Pioneer, +1-515-334-6837

Iowa, March 22 (PRNewswire) - Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.,
announced it has acquired Dois Marcos, a soybean seed breeding and
marketing company, located in Cristalina, Brazil. Dois Marcos, a small
regional company, established a soybean-breeding program in 1987 in the
Brazilian state of Goias. The Cristalina area of Goias is recognized as a
region well suited for soybean breeding. The company has been marketing
commercial soybean varieties for two years in the Cerrado area of Brazil.

Purchase price and details of the acquisition were not disclosed. "We
will utilize the germplasm developed in Brazil, by Dois Marcos, to
enhance our soybean lines worldwide," said Rick McConnell, Pioneer senior
vice president for research and product development. "We continue to
improve the disease and pest resistance of our soybean varieties. This
germplasm along with our other genetic enhancement technologies improves
our ability to do that." Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. is the
world's leading supplier of agricultural genetics and is the leading
developer and integrator of agricultural technology. Headquartered in Des
Moines, Iowa, Pioneer develops, produces, and markets a full line of
seeds, forage and grain additives and services to grain and livestock
producers, grain processors and other customers worldwide.

-
-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany