2-Plants: Britain's biggest farmer pulls out of gene trials

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
Britain's biggest farmer pulls out of gene trials

LONDON, March 30 (Reuters) - Britain's biggest farmer has decided not to
take part in proposed new field trials of genetically modified crops.
"Few people would disagree that what is required are properly conducted
scientific trials to assess the environmental impact of GM crops," the
Co-operative Wholesale Society, which farms over 80,000 acres throughout
Britain, said in a statement. However we feel there is yet no clear
consensus of opinion amongst the various interest groups as to how this
should be achieved, and so we have decided not to take part," said Head
of Corporate Affairs Bill Shannon. We are not against GMOs (Genetically
Modified Organisms) in principle, but our discussions with various
parties led us to conclude that the design of this year's trials would do
little to allay current environmental and consumer concerns." CWS is part
of the UK consumer co-operative movement, with businesses ranging from
supermarkets to funeral parlours. It was set up by the retail
co-operatives in the 19th century. Britain plans tests aimed at assessing
the wider impact of genetically modified crops on the environment. The
trials will look at the effect of crops scaled up from flower-bed or
handkerchief sized plots to whole field size. Fresh controversy over GM
foods was sparked in Britain last month when international scientists
backed scientist Arpad Pusztai, who claimed his research showed damage to
rats fed on genetically modified potatoes.

-
-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany