4-Food: COMMENT on ISBNews_99.03/Lactose_free_milk

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:01:46 +0200
From: wytze <geno@zap.a2000.nl>

-----

Besides the doubt on some points mentioned in the study on lactose
intolerance, (70% of people suffer from this?) I would also like to point
to another  way of solving the problem. Raw milk contains the enzyme
lactase by itself. For several reasons milk is being pasteurized, a
process in which the enzyme is killed. In many regions in the world
however and it seems to a higher degree among the more lactose deficient
vulnerable peoples mentioned, raw milk is still consumed.    In the mean
time, if lactose-intolerance is so significant, than it must be said that
those despised macro-biotics had a point all along.

(personally I am not a macro-biotic but I don't despise them).

-----

Wytze de Lange
Dutch Genetech platform

-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany