3-Foods: US biotech industry ignores labelling rules in Australia and NZ

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
Genetically altered food safe, says minister
MELBOURNE, March 10
AAP

The failure of companies to register foods containing genetically
modified organisms (GMOs) did not pose a health risk, Victorian Health
Minister Rob Knowles said today. About 50 foods with genetically
engineered material, mainly imported from North America, were ingredients
in about 500 products on Australian supermarket shelves, Mr Knowles said.
Under new rules by the Australia New Zealand Food Authority (ANZFA), such
foodstuffs have to be registered and appropriately labelled by May 13.
But Mr Knowles said only two foods had so far been registered. We suspect
there are in the order of 50 other foodstuffs that have been imported
primarily from North America but (the required) ... registration has not
been applied for," he told reporters. "Those 50 foods we think have gone
into something like 500 products."

Mr Knowles said the reasons for non-compliance included the industry not
taking the regulations seriously and companies not being aware the food
they are using in their products contained GMOs. He stressed the 50
products involved had been through scientific testing and had been
approved for use. "There are no public health issues. This is more an
issue of us knowing that they contain GMOs and then we, of course, have
the labelling issue that is being grappled with," he said. His confidence
was not shared by doctors across the Tasman. Today The Royal New Zealand
College of General Practitioners warned its government to take
"exceptional caution" with regard to genetically modified food because
much of the research on it raised serious health and environmental safety
concerns. "Much of the information available is from the proponents of
the technology - who stand to make a lot of money if it's widely approved
- but we're now hearing more from independent scientists whose research
points to significant risks," said college chair, Dr Ralph Wiles.

Meanwhile Mr Knowles said there was concern that trade wars could develop
if a global approach was not taken to the complex issue. In North America
food that was significantly modified must be labelled as such, whereas in
Europe all foods containing GMOs must be labelled. "The Americans have
made it very clear that if Australia and New Zealand required greater
labelling requirements than their own that that would constitute a trade
barrier and therefore we could very quickly get caught up in a trade
war," he said. "So both the Australian government and the New Zealand
government are very keen to try and get a worldwide approach to these
issues so we can in fact avoid those trade implications."

-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany