2-Plants: Key Brazilian state to ban GM soy

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
Feb 22/99
Reuters Sao Paulo

Agricultural Secretary Jose Hermeto Hoffamann of Brazil's second-largest
soybean-producing state Rio Grande do Sul was cited as saying the state
is trying to ban planting of genetically modified soybeans produced by a
local unit of Monsanto Co., adding, "We have decided that they should be
prohibited. What we are doing now is looking into the ways that this
legally can be done." The story notes that Brazil broke from its historic
ban on transgenic crops last September by officially recognizing
Monsanto's herbicide-resistant Roundup Ready seeds as safe. But Hoffamann
was cited as saying the federal government's decision did not reflect the
wishes of producers in Rio Grande do Sul, who fear they may lose sales to
transgenic-wary European markets with the introduction of Roundup Ready,
and that the state saw an opportunity to create a speciality market with
the transgenic-free soybean crop, which would help offset shrinking
profit margins as world prices slide.

-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany