3-Food: Dr. Pusztai vindicated (2) - Call for a moratorium

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
GUARDIAN 12/02/1999 P23

FLAWS IN THE FOOD CHAIN - WE NEED A MORATORIUM.

THE PRESSURE for a moratorium on genetically modified food - at least
until more rigorous testing has been done - is beginning to look like a
tidal wave. It has produced an unholy alliance of William Hague, John
Redwood, leftward-leaning lobbies and the European Parliament (which
yesterday voted for legislation that could make biotech companies legally
responsible for the adverse effects of releasing organisms).

Yesterday, the Consumers Association urged the Government to block
further GM products pending overhaul of the regulatory system - the first
call for a ban in its 40 year history. There is a case for calling a halt
if only to allow time for the fog to lift. Let's be clear: genetically
modified food may turn out to be one of the great achievements of the
twentieth century that will enrich our lives and bring cheaper,
pesticide-free produce. Talk of Frankenstein foods is completely
misleading. In the much longer run it may help to feed the poorer parts
of the world by producing crops that grow in conditions of drought or
salt (though no one yet knows how to do such things). But because of its
very nature - manipulating the life process itself - it involves a huge
leap into the unknown that could have truly fearsome consequences. It is
for this reason that new products must be tested in a far more rigorous
and independent way even than other food products. The understandable
desire of pioneering corporations to get an early return on the vast sums
they have invested must not stand in the way of protecting the consumer.
Memories of BSE are still too strong for new risks to be taken with the
food chain when doubts remain. There are several lessons to be drawn from
the disturbing reports we published today of how suppressed research by
Dr Arpad Pusztai linking genetically modified potatoes to health risks
led an international group of 22 scientists to express their concern to
the Guardian.

The first is that if the safety of GM foods is a real issue - and it is
then the research on which it is based must be open and beyond
contention. The results of studies on rats of the kind Dr Pusztai has
conducted are notoriously difficult to transfer to humans. If they had
been we would have cured cancer ages ago. But that's not the point.
Animal studies are our first line of defence and if research fails that
test there is no point in pursuing it for humans unless proved otherwise.

Second, we should be doubly on alert when an issue like this is
complicated by the spectre of business, science and government forcing
through an unwelcome and uninvited extension of the run of foods on the
public when the question how dangerous they could be is unanswered.
Protagonists of GM foods would argue that it is a bit ironic that a
public addicted to synthetic or junk foods should start worrying about
tiny genetic alterations to staple crops that have been undergoing
genetic alterations by random mutation, accident and natural selection
for thousands of years. But, again, that's not the point. We can't
rewrite the past, we can affect the future. And we simply don't know.

The third lesson is to underline the necessity of labelling every food
product that currently contains GM constituents in a clear way so people
at least know what they are buying. Tony Blair may feel that he is a
victim of another media bandwagon - on to which re is a growing consensus
of people and experts of all persuasion deeply concerned about this leap
into the unknown. Mr Blair should seize the initiative and declare a
moratorium until further research can satisfy the burgeoning band of
doubters.

-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany