7-Misc: Spanish farmers call for GE plant and food moratorium

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
INTERVIEW
March 22, 1999
By David Brough

LISBON, March 22 (Reuters) - Leading Spanish farmers' group COAG is
calling
for a moratorium on genetically modified (GM) planting and foods until
possible health risks are fully investigated, a spokesman said on Monday.
"We need to know what we are planting and consuming," Lluis Nomen, COAG's
chief environment spokesman, told Reuters in a telephone interview from
Reus in northeastern Spain. He said COAG, a national body representing
some
200,000 Spanish farmers, was demanding a moratorium on using GM organisms
in planting and foodstuffs until scientists had completed investigations
into possible health risks. "We want to be sure that scientific research
is made public and that farmers and consumers are informed," he said.

Lisbon newsroom +351-1-3113124
lisbon.newsroom+reuters.com
Copyright 1999 Reuters Limited

-
-| Hartmut Meyer
-| Co-ordinator
-| GENET
-| The European NGO Network on Genetic Engineering
-|
-| Reinhaeuser Landstr. 51
-| D - 37083 Goettingen
-| Germany